doing the tranny | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

doing the tranny

I'm going to post a thread in the trans section for a mod i'm doing to give me push button control over the TCC and the 3-4 shift.

This will be to improve highway performance both for towing and steep grades.
As it is now if you down shift from TCC-4th to 3rd you might just brake this trans.
It'll do it but what a bang and screech at full power!
This way I will be able to tow in OD on the flats and then ease it down into 3rd gear when needed without all the excitement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last weekend I drove to payson AZ to look at a 94 limited for a donor truck.
selling for $500 because no forward gears!
I just couldn't do it to the kid, it was just suffering from a tired torque converter and was 1/2 qt low. mine does this in cold weather but if I let her warm up in reverse for a minute drop it in 1st and manually shift 1-2-3, 1-2-3 for the first mile all is good. 35,000 miles running it like this. Going to replace the trans but i'm cheap and stubborn like that. So I got the kids rig back up and going, taught him how to drive it and away he goes! Priceless look of gratitude on this 17 year old. No charge kid!

I tell you this story after reviewing your original post. Died in cold weather did it!

If it's still holding fluid it's probable hung up in neutral even with the park pin engaged.
Drop the pan clean up a bit replace with some new mercon V and a new filter and give her a go
you may just be driving it sooner than you think!

Oh here's my truck out on the trail WITH the "bad" trans" two weeks ago.
IMG_20131109_165942_zpsea1b8ec7.jpg

One last note: Spending the cash for a trans done by PATC will provide you with a bolt in trans. That's what I will be doing. Also why I'm nursing this one along for so long.

Level 2 trans $2070 plus $220 shipping! OUCH! but I plan to keep my Ex for the foreseeable future. And I bought it for $1500 so it's no unreasonable to be in a truck for that amount.

Sharp rig!

Thanks man! It's got a ways to go gonna be sweet. Armor and paint and a little more suspension work next.

Nice thread jack!!! Lol

Hey arco, you got any pics of yours on here other than your avatar?

Hey arco, you got any pics of yours on here other than your avatar?

Not the most recent by any means, but all I have at the moment. Future of the 4dr is uncertain.

Attachments

• CIMG1844.jpg
    CIMG1844.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 147
  • CIMG1517.JPG
    CIMG1517.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 139

Thanks jd, to much info maybe I think I freaked out mountain monkey.

Great info and sweet rig FR-425!

It is for this reason that I am glued to this forum and love my truck so much.

Nice clean tucks. Is that a Limited bumper on the sport? looks good with that. 2wd sport?

Nice clean tucks. Is that a Limited bumper on the sport? looks good with that. 2wd sport?

Yup, Limited bumper. Both 4WD. Bought the 2dr for a dollar, years ago. It has been dirty before :)

Attachments

• Rhen's%20Ex2.jpg
    Rhen's%20Ex2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 135

Pretty good RTI on these for stock huh! And that's with the front sway still connected yes?

Got a Holiday deal going on for Elite mem's Might just have to pay up. I have gotten a-lot of info from this site! Just signed up this month but have been here as a guest for about two years found it shortly after buy'n my Ex. Wasn't to sure about it at first, My first ford! but fell in Love. Perfect vehicle for me. I carry about 450lbs of tools around at all times for work. Can fit 5 peep's, and tear up the dirt. I've got a mish mash suspension setup by design not desperation going for a lifted but very smooth ride, and this rig is the most well mannered 4x4 I've ever owned! Plus you can't beat the limited edition for comfort. Tried out a Jeep grand Cherokee loredo no comparison for comfort seats were hard and it drives rough as $^^&& stock. The Limited is Posh, extra sound insulation, extra steel supports in the dash, JBL premium audio which sounds amazing for stock, extra body mount noise isolation, yata yata. I always recommend people looking to get a first gen to concentrate their search for a Limited Particularly the 93.5-94 years as they sorted out most of the trany bugs by then. you get a lot more bang for your buck. Even if you strip it down to go hard core you can off set your purchase by selling off the Limited only body moldings steps and bumpers. I'm looking buy another for a donor. Just to have it in case I bang mine up.

If you got a chance to ride in mine I think you would have to agree it's one of the most solid feeling smooth riding Explorers.

I now see how these threads can get waaaaay off topic, have'n a good time with it and that's what is all about right?

Ya kinda killed my idea of ripping the old trany out and just bolting another one in. So there's no way I'll be spending a few thousand for one of them new upgraded granny's you were talking about. So I'm either going to get mine rebuilt somewhere or just go pull one out of an x at a junkyard. I bet having mine rebuilt would cost like a thousand bucks but it should be a good unit when done. Or I could get a junkyard one for around 100$ but who knows if it will be any good. The explorer is just a bush vehicle so cheaper is better but that being said I would rather have the tranny break in my challenger in town then to lose the tranny in my explorer 50 miles from nowhere

Ya kinda killed my idea of ripping the old trany out and just bolting another one in. So there's no way I'll be spending a few thousand for one of them new upgraded granny's you were talking about. So I'm either going to get mine rebuilt somewhere or just go pull one out of an x at a junkyard. I bet having mine rebuilt would cost like a thousand bucks but it should be a good unit when done. Or I could get a junkyard one for around 100$ but who knows if it will be any good. The explorer is just a bush vehicle so cheaper is better but that being said I would rather have the tranny break in my challenger in town then to lose the tranny in my explorer 50 miles from nowhere

Then get gears and put a c4 in.....

Mountain monkey! didn't think you survived the heart attack!

I latter posted some more encouraging stuff give it a read.

And definitely if you want pick one out of the JY get a 94 factory upgrades already in those. Have it rebuilt and still check your old bell housing and reuse if at all possible. You can have new bushings pressed in, but find someone properly equipped, can't just bang it in with BFH. Take your NEW torque converter with you so it can measured for the new bushing, (definitely get a new torque converter! even if it's a stock one PATC has those too for like $220) as I said above 95% of the bells survive with bushings intact. It's just a matter of checking that all's well before bolting it home.

Here in phoenix there is a shop called Arizona automatic transmission exchange.
Off the shelf a4ld is $850. And their are others for as little as $550. but I have only done business with AATE. the others struck me as a little shady. If I were to buy a stocker it would be from them. They offer 2 year 50,000 mile warranty for $100 more.
Standard warranty is 1 year 12,000. Good shop. Now that info does do you any good if your not in Arizona. But my point is shop around, talk to customers at some shops find a balance between price and trust in the shop. When I first asked them if they had an a4ld the counter dip said NO! I talked to the guy with grease on his face and he said got 10 on the shelf ready go! Kick the doors open and don't take no crud from lackeys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the hunt starts tomorrow. First going to check the junk yards for a tranny with like less then 100,000km (ya right) and if I find nothing I'll go hit up a few local shops. Jd I haven't done any research into swapping a c4 in but I'm assuming its a headache that's going to need a bunch of other parts that I don't want to pay for. I could be totally wrong about that though. And for the gears I was running 33s with my 3.73s and it was just fine so I'm going to pick up some 4:10 stockers from the junk yard eventually and they should be low enough to pull the 35's as good as the 3.73s did the 33s

Back