• Register Today It's free!

Dolly tow

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
I bought a dolly today and I was trying it out... I put the explorer on the dolly and strap the front tires and I tried to move the dolly but it did not wanted to move... so my question is even with the truck on N and 4x4 off does the front tires still spen? I know I need to remove the driveshaft when in tow but I thought 4x4 is only engaged when 4x4 high or low is on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DO NOT TOW A 4X4 EXPLORER WITH ONLY 2 WHEELS OFF THE GROUND!!! IT WILL DESTROY THE TRANSFER CASE!!! Return your dolly, you can not use a dolly with this vehicle!

It can only be towed with all 4 wheels off the ground OR all 4 wheels ON the ground with a tow bar with the transfer case in Neutral Tow which requires enabling by a NGS dealer computer.

^ Perfect. Concise and well put. Easy to remember too. All 4 wheels either moving or not, but not 2.

I remember years ago, when my wife drove the car, one of the front brake lines suddenly went out.
The tow truck guy wanted to tow only from the front. Kept insisting it would be fine.
My wife, to her credit, refused and insisted on a flat bed. It finally arrived and all was good.

Another brake line went out only recently. That other time it was a hose, but this time it was a line.
I panic stopped because some entitled walker decided to just go across the street without warning.
Silly woman, I came pretty close to hitting her. Scary. Hope the brakes are okay for a long while now.

Rear driveshaft will be removed not front... when rear driveshaft is removed there is no way the transmission can move or transfer case... my question was why when the transmission was in neutral and 4x4 off why did the front tires move? I have my 4x4 light flashing so I am sure I am driving in 4x4? Maybe?

Rear driveshaft will be removed not front... when rear driveshaft is removed there is no way the transmission can move or transfer case... my question was why when the transmission was in neutral and 4x4 off why did the front tires move? I have my 4x4 light flashing so I am sure I am driving in 4x4? Maybe?

Removing the rear drive shaft will work for dolly tow from the front but what a huge pain in the ass, how often do you plan on towing it? If this is for a RV and you are older it'd be worth getting the proper tow-bar + neutral tow setup and have the added benefit of not having to keep up with the registration and plates on a tow dolly.

The front and rear are always tied together at all times in the transfer case with a limited slip vicious coupling. If the front and rear are not turning at nearly the same speed this coupling will burn up. Turning 4x4 on energizes a electromagnet and locks this coupling completely.

I just need it for a one time tow from one state to another and that's it...

In that case why don't you just rent a auto carrier from UHaul? What are you towing it with?

In that case why don't you just rent a auto carrier from UHaul? What are you towing it with?

Because when I move I want to buy cheap cars and fix them up.... 2017 f250... i bought the dolly because it was a deal i couldn't pass up on... I towed a 2002 4x4 avalanche one time and it did fine (towed it from the rear) so I thought the explorer was the same... no biggie... when explorer is on top of dolly gives me enough room to remove shaft... later down the road I will upgrade to a trailer...

Remember, you've been warned....

removing the rear drive shaft will work to tow it from the rear but above concerns are definitely valid. typical gm transfer cases are gear engagement and or chain driven. atleast the ford model in question is a fluid clutch type design. 2wd or neutral only relieves enough pressure for the vehicle to roll but not be towed at highway speeds. one of the reasons certain gm transfer cases had certain situations why the transfer case would basically detonate when they would fail.

removing the rear drive shaft will work to tow it from the rear but above concerns are definitely valid.

No.

Remove the rear drive shaft to tow it from the front with the front on the dolly.

Remove the front drive shaft to tow it from the rear with the rear on the dolly.

No.

Remove the rear drive shaft to tow it from the front with the front on the dolly.

Remove the front drive shaft to tow it from the rear with the rear on the dolly.
sh** yes miss type my bad ignore me towing from the front. my miss type is wrong techguru is correct.

removing the rear drive shaft will work to tow it from the rear but above concerns are definitely valid. typical gm transfer cases are gear engagement and or chain driven. atleast the ford model in question is a fluid clutch type design. 2wd or neutral only relieves enough pressure for the vehicle to roll but not be towed at highway speeds. one of the reasons certain gm transfer cases had certain situations why the transfer case would basically detonate when they would fail.
Fluid clutch? It’s a chain driven transfer case with an electromagnetic clutch like on your AC. It’s not a fluid clutch (viscous coupling) like on the real AWD models.

Put the front on the dolly. Always.
Remove the rear shaft.
Wish you had a proper trailer.

Maybe I said it wrong.... the front tires will be on top of dolly and strapped down, the rear tires will be on the ground with the rear driveshaft removed... all I wanted to know was why the front tires moved when transmission was in neutral... the dolly was all I could've afford at this time... yes in the future I will buy a car trailer....

The transfer case isn’t In neutral.

Fluid clutch? It’s a chain driven transfer case with an electromagnetic clutch like on your AC. It’s not a fluid clutch (viscous coupling) like on the real AWD models.

Put the front on the dolly. Always.
Remove the rear shaft.
Wish you had a proper trailer.
i apologize for the incorrect terminology i didnt mean an awd viscos clutch design. i meant a fluid lubricated clutch i could still be wrong in a bunch of areas but im assuming the physical clutch pack is still in gear oil. so to me i still think of it as a fluid clutch not a dry clutch. just trying to be active on the forum. i only have to deal with wet or dry clutches so ill do some reading tonight to correct myself.

Maybe I said it wrong.... the front tires will be on top of dolly and strapped down, the rear tires will be on the ground with the rear driveshaft removed... all I wanted to know was why the front tires moved when transmission was in neutral... the dolly was all I could've afford at this time... yes in the future I will buy a car trailer....

You're going to need this site in the future. A lot of vehicles these days use this 4x4 design.

Even with the transfer case in neutral all 4 wheels need to turn together or you will burn up the coupling.
No. If the transfer case is ACTUALLY in neutral IE with a dealer installed neutral tow kit it’d be fine. Also, it doesn’t care about all 4 wheels, only that both axles are spinning the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. If the transfer case is ACTUALLY in neutral IE with a dealer installed neutral tow kit it’d be fine. Also, it doesn’t care about all 4 wheels, only that both axles are spinning the same.

Putting the transfer case in neutral only disconnects the transfer case from the transmission to allow all 4 down tow bar towing. The front and rear difference still goes though the coupling requiring that all 4 wheels be on the ground.

Even with the transfer case in neutral, if you put the vehicle up on a lift and turn the rear wheels by hand the front will still turn with them due to the drag of the coupling.

Back