Dolly Towing My 4X2 Auto EX Backwards?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dolly Towing My 4X2 Auto EX Backwards??

I would really like to keep my 4X2 Auto EX but I need my car to be towable behind my newly purchased RV.

Putting it on a tow dolly backwards can be done but some sources say it is inadvisable because of stability problems. UHaul does not permit backwards towing on their dollies and I have read warnings elsewhere including on this forum.

But then I just talked to a guy who tows his F250 backwards with no problems for him. So I am looking to this forum for my final decision. Maybe someone here has actual experience with this.

Also I would welcome info on four-down towing mine. I know there are things like driveshaft disconnects and base plates. But this gets expensive and I don't want to bury too much money in it since it is a 1994. The dolly is not buried money; it can be sold for about what one pays for it or used for the next vehicle.

I don't know much about all four towing, but I do know backwards towing is probably a bad idea. Any slack in the the steering system can cause the vehicle to wiggle, potentially whip back and forth until it breaks free. And, most tow dollies are made to turn with the aid of the vehicle being towed steering system. With a non turning axle on the dolly, I suspect turning would be difficult.

Thanks MG. I haven't looked at dollies enough to know how they turn corners so even that is still a mystery to me. It appears that some pivot the axel under the wheel platform but....

I do know that the backwards towing, at this point for me, appears to be scary.

Back