dome light doesnt come on when door opened | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dome light doesnt come on when door opened

dmac0923

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger xlt
2001 explorer sport.

the dome/interior lights dont come on when the drivers side door is opened.

the dome lights come on and function as normal with the pass door, tailgate, dimmer switch.

is the door switch for the integrated into the door latch itself???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2001 explorer sport.

the dome/interior lights dont come on when the drivers side door is opened.

the dome lights come on and function as normal with the pass door, tailgate, dimmer switch.

is the door switch for the integrated into the door latch itself???

That's my understanding.

is there any way to service it?

I've heard of some people spraying WD-40 into the slits under the door handle, and fixing the problem that way. I can imagine this makes a greasy mess behind the door panel tho.

The switch is attached to the latch inside the door. If you need to change it, you have to remove the door panel.

I see that this is a fairly old post. But I'm having the same problem. I plan on pulling my door panel tomorrow to fix a lock spring problem, after doing that I'm gonna take a look at the switch on the latch, If I come up with a solution ill post.

So do you have to replace the whole latch or can you just replace the dome light switch? I opened up my driver's door and the wire is broken off of the switch. I took out the screw that I thought was holding it on, but the switch wouldn't move.

Hi.

Same Issue...

I feel your pain... THere are a lot of questions on this forum and no answers. Can be quite frustrating.

Ive got multiple issues with my 97 explorer limited, and perusing this site is extremely time consuming, and you end up with no answers...

...trying to avoid at least dealer diagnosis costs by searching here but doesnt seem to work out...

good luck!

I fixed it. It was just a broken door switch.

Can you explain a little bit more? What is the door switch? Where is it? Sorry, Im not a mechanic...

Back