Dome light questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dome light questions

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6
I have a couple of questions about the dome light in our 2007 Explorer XLT.
1. Is there anyway to disable the dome light in the front so it does not stay on for 30 seconds after I start the car, but still works when the doors are opened?
2. Is it possible to do anything so the middle dome light comes on as well when I open the doors? The front and rear turns on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For your first question I don't believe you can change the timing on the lights without getting in to the smart junction box (sjb) and seeing if there is a setting for that. The only problem is that has to be done at a dealer because they have the tool for it.

For your second question there should be a switch for on the middle light that has three positions off, on when the doors are open, and on all the time.

The one in the middle has two buttons but they are booth on and off. The one in the back has on, auto and off.

Are u turning on and off the second row left and right reading spotlights with the on/off switch? Maybe the center bulb is burnt out

The light bulb was blown. I had never guessed that there was three bulbs in the light. Thanks. :)
This is our first American car and things are a lot different than the European and Asian ones we owned previously.

I have a couple of questions about the dome light in our 2007 Explorer XLT.
1. Is there anyway to disable the dome light in the front so it does not stay on for 30 seconds after I start the car, but still works when the doors are opened?
On my 2007 Limited the front dome light slowly dims to off as soon as I turn the key to 'ON'...it definitely doesn't stay on for 30 seconds

I noticed yesterday that it is not always that it stays on. Could it have anything to do with the driving lights?
Here on Iceland i have to have both front and rear light on at all time. So I always turn the light setting to on.

Back