Dome light staying on when door is closed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dome light staying on when door is closed

99ranger2.5l

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt ranger
I own a 99 2.5l ranger 5 speed, Only sometimes when i close my passenger door the dome light stays on...what can i do about this? and i have no clue where the sensor to the door being shut is...have looked and looked

help please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the switch is integrated in the latch

You may find the answer you are looking for in the thread called "Cab Light". It was only the 10th thread down in the Ranger forum when I posted this message.

thank you..i kind of figured it was but really didn't know for sure

Good luck, hope that works for you.

I had the same problem. The driver side door latch seem to be the most prone to this problem. I guessed everytime the truck is being use you need to open the driverside door. I tried spraying with electrical cleaner, silicone sprayer and as well as WD 40. They were all temp fix. There only two ways to fix this, go to the dealer and buy another latch and hope it will last till you sell the truck or just cut the wire going to the switch and tape up the wire. If you ever want to use the light on the dome just turn the on the switch above your head or if you have passenger the passenger door will turn on the light. I chose option 2 which work very well for me.

Ranger Al

WD40 worked like a champ on both sides for me. I'd opt for that first, even if you have to do it a couple of times. I wasn't concerned about the excess running down or into the door...it can only do the body good :)

WD40 worked for me six yrs ago, and I haven't had to repeat it.

Holy old thread!

Is the switch itself not replaceable? Or do you need the whole latch assembly?

They're replaceable, but given the choice between buying the switch and then tearing the door apart to swap it out vs. a short spraying with WD40...

As an experiment I tried the same approach on my turn signal switch a couple wks ago - it's acted erratic/sluggish/nonfunctional in cold weather for the last couple yrs till the cab warms up, and all the posts I could find here talked about replacing the switch. So far it's acting completely normal. Wahoo!!

Hi Folks, I'm new to this.
My 2006 Ranger has had this problem for awhile now, the door ajar light comes on as I'm driving or going around corners, had a close look at it today and it seems that the rear drivers door is not latching at the bottom. Tried the wd40 and antiseize, lots of rust draining out (not good!) but still not latching. Any hints?

Back