• Register Today It's free!

Dome/map light bulbs and socket

Mesozoic

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mercury Mountaineer
I tried to find replacement LED bulbs for my map/dome light ('00 Mounty) and am struggling. The issue is that the plastic wedge housing has contacts positioned where only the exterior side ends of the bulbs would work - none of the bulbs I've looked at in Autozone have that sort of contact arrangement.

Does anyone know of a drop in LED replacement that will work with these wedge bases? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it helps any, that small bulb inside the plastic looks like it might be a 194 or a 168. If you can remove the bulb from the fitting, you may find an LED that will mount in the fitting. I know NAPA sells a 194 LED bulb in white, amber, and red. Of course I'm just speculating... might not work at all. LoL

I may be misunderstanding but normally those 194/etc wedge sockets have contacts on both sides of the bulb. Can you post a picture of what you're talking about? Edit: I may be away from the forum for a few days but that could also help someone else figure this out.

The "wedge" "194" are also referred to "T10s" ....(or at least are cross compatible)
Get these for your "outer" two map lights:
T10 LINK
Get this for your center/ dome -"door open" light:
Festoon light PANEL !

These make a world of difference compared to standard poor incandescent oem lighting....and they are true WHITE lighting....not the common ones with the hideous blue / bug light zapper BLUE hue/tint to them.
**I vaguely recall having to use a needle nose and tiny flat head screwdriver to work bulbs in and out in Fords setup here... and even some other"MacGuyvering" technique.

I hard wired some LEDS from SuperBright LEDS into my dome light after the bulb I replaced in the console got hot and melted the socket. Not all 168 and 194 bulbs are rated at the proper voltage. I found that out the hard way.

CWHP-10-D.jpg

CWHP-10-D (2).jpg

Back