Don't buy a new volkswagen

MyExpWork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Camarillo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4-door 4X4 XLT
My wife bought a new 2001 beetle in June 2001. Ever since we bought it, it has been nothing but problems.

Just to diagnose the check engine light is over $200.00. :frustrate VW customer care sucks!!!! :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate

"We will look into it sir, but if we are not telling you what you want to hear, you can seek other means outside of volkswagen." WTH is that all about. We don't want to help you, so leave us alone.

It has been into the shop 3 times now since December '03 with the check engine light on. Each time would have been about 230.00 to diagnose. If I did not complain, that would have cost me 690.00 just to diagnose plus what they would have charged me. So say approx 1,000 bucks. (Dealer charges $85.00/hour in labor) 1,000 of an 18,000 car is 5.5% of the car value when new.

This sucks. :fire: :fire: :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate :fire: :fire:

Can you imagine having to spend thousands on repairs on a car that is barley 3 years old with only 27,000 miles on it???????!!!!!??????

DO NOT BUY A NEW VW.

Here volkswagen of america... :mattmoon: :mattmoon: :mattmoon:

Rant over.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOw...you know alot of new VW's do have problems, but not all of them.
I think its just newer cars, from any manufacurer, if something is wrong and the dealer wont help its a real PITA.

I personally own a 2000 GTI VR6 and it has been almost completely problem free with 50K miles on it now. Electric secondary waterpump did leak, was replaced, it was a $80 part. I have also owned a 93 Golf III with a 2.0L, which is basically the same platform they are still offering.
Some of their cars and platforms have been around for along time and are proven to be reliable, some of the newer models and the TDI engines are brand new technology and VW has had alot of problems with the newer stuff.

I say find another dealer, you may have to drive, but I have been surprised in how different dealerships can be, especially if you tell them you were not happy with the other dealership, its almost like they feel they are going to win a customer over frm thieir close competition :) if they treat you right, or at least better..

Autozone will scan for codes for free if the CEL is on.

LOL, a friend's wife has one (same year) and the CEL has been on for over a year now. He got the same treatment from our local dealer. He basically said screw it, and put a small strip of electrical tape over the light. :D

WHY???? Go to Autozone and have them scan the codes for FREE

I dont know... i get the idea that he's just sick of the car and sick of the fact that its been in the dealer for warranty work 6-7 times. He said "if it still runs, then to hell with it. She will drive it." Not saying i agree... just reporting what happened. ;)

my neighbor has a new beetle like 99 or 2000 and hers sucks... she hates it now... the spolier never raises on its own like it is supposed to.....

FYI: VW CELs are often not simple OBD2 codes that can be checked at Autozone.

Most of the time VWoA problems are due to the dealer. My dealer has been great so far (knock on wood).

I know alot of people with vw's and most of them are great little cars. They do have their quirks, but so do our explorers. Every manufacturer will have quirks with some cars , but just because there are a few lemons doesn't mean they are all bad.

Same thing happens with the CEL on my sisters 01 beetle. There has also been numerous other little problems with it. AutoZone says that can't check VW codes. Mabey that Autozone just doesnt have the right equipment?

When I was at a VW dealer there were people there protesting VW customer service and how when things break they are overcharged to repair them.

In terms of repair and parts costs, VW is no worse than any European manufacturer.

Dealer called and it is throwing codes related to the throttle body. Hmmm.... Same as in April, December, August and August 2001.

I am going to talk someone about lemon law.

Tell me about it, my wife had a 2000 Turbo Beetle we unloaded about a year ago, only 30k and just overwrought with problems and VW was no help. The car I can excuse because VW obviously makes great cars that have a great following, but the way I was treated I cannot. I will never purchase another VW product again, ever.

I want to say I saw somewhere that VW has "programmed" the car to turn that light on, even if nothing is wrong. they force the light to come in, so people get all worried and rush to the dealer, and then the dealer makes $$$$$$ from it. I saw a article somewhere talking about how to push the button that makes it trip on. I can't remember where I saw it though.

http://www.myvwlemon.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

Maybe that site will help you (or anyone else having problems)

Dane

They now say that they are going to change the entire engine wiring harness.

Sounds expensive. Glad I complained alot because I cannot afford that bill.

Maybe this will work out after all. Still don't trust the car though.

Sounds like yours was one of the "floaters".

Many VWs were caught in the flood in the Houston shipyards a few years ago. Those that could be refurbed they sold.

And it wasn't only VW that did this. All the automakers that ship through Houston refurbed as many flooded vehicles as they could, Ford included.

Back