Dont forget your junkyards...lot o explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dont forget your junkyards...lot o explorers

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
I made a trip yesterday to the junkyard to get a few valve cover bolts and was suprised at the number of 1995-2001 explorers! Funny how some of them look nicer than mine! I have been dealing with recyclers for a while (where you dont get to enter the yard) It was nice to get back into a pick/pull yard. And unlike in my youth, I did not try to pocket any extra parts. I will be going back for a door mechanism shortly along with a possible door switch.

For those of you in the chicagoland area, Yes I did go to victory auto wreckers. I also go to the pick and pull in Summit, although they charge a yard fee just to enter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

although they charge a yard fee just to enter.

All the u-pull its around here charge a buck to get in. Still well worth it regardless of whether or not you get anything.

All the u-pull its around here charge a buck to get in. Still well worth it regardless of whether or not you get anything.

Our good one (http://www.upiautoparts.com) is a buck too, or $20 for the year.. and they let you toss bean bags and for every 1 you get in you get a 5$ coupon to use. Also, every 10 times you go in you get a 10% coupone to use whenever. and that is 10 times going in, not 10 times buying :).

I also like that the good one around here is open 7 days a week. and Yes, there have been a bunch of 2nd gens in there, and even some first gens.. But the stock is rotated every 90 days.. which actually helps find parts.. just buy them when you see em.

~Mark

In Gurnee, IL there is a place called Auto Parts City, cost nothing to go in, I saw at least 12 or 15 Explorers there last time I went. I got my front cushion for my Ex there.

Oooo couple of Illinoisans here. I go up to the pick n pull in hammond indiana for my parts since they have a bunch of 2nd gens. Summit didn't have much for me there, but still cool. Junkyards are your friend!

Makes you wonder.....

I like both the parts hunt and the negotiation part of it. I hope to keep my explorer on the road so have a reason to keep going! I will most likely replace it with another 2 gen anyway.

None here and I have been wishing for one for awhile. Used to know the owner of a yard not to far from me but he passed away and his kids sold it off. As far as I know Michigan has no pick and pulls anymore. They claim the insurance is too high and won't let you into the yards. I tried to get some parts from a yard near me. Front axle to be exact. He wanted $150 for it and told me it had over 200k on it. Just seemed kind of high to me for a used front axle maybe I am wrong though.

Back