Don't own an explorer, but new here still | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't own an explorer, but new here still

imaghost

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1986 Mustang
I have a 1986 Mustang 5.0 that I am doing an engine build/swap with a 1996 Explorer 5.0.

Nothing too serious with the build, just going stock bottom end with the hypereutectic pistons, Trickflow stage 1 camshaft and the Trickflow valve spring upgrade. I am keeping the GT40 heads and the intake, but now I have an extra intake.

I am mainly here just to get rid of a lot of the other parts I don't need and can't use. I figure I can pass on the savings to someone who can actually use the parts or needs the parts, but I may stick around a little if anyone is interested in the build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah ok, eh oh well.
Anyways, So here is the story. Kind of long, but a lot of things brought me to getting this car.
I have had this car for a couple years now. I bought it as a replacement pretty much.

I originally bought a 1995 Ranger as my first car. 16, still in high school, you know how it is. It was a great truck, really fun to drive, but not fast. I grew up in a family of Mustangs lol, so it was time to move on. When I was 18, I had the truck for a while now and found a pretty good looking Fox Body Mustang. 1987, 5.0, 5 speed, convertible, thing ran like a raped ape. Modded motor, Probably high 12's, low 13's. I had that car for 5 or 6 months or so. I fixed it up and broke it a lot. Anyways, at the end there I had finally repaired it, got the top replaced and it looked awesome. I had it running like it never did before.
Some jackass decided his brakes didn't want to work (probably texting) and rear ended me at about 40, I was stopped at a red light. It hit me so hard my driver seat broke, the radio flew out of the dashboard, and totaled the car in front of me as well. The best part about it was the guy had no insurance. So small claims court and 4 months later, I got some cash and found this car.
I wanted the 1986 Mustang specifically because it was the only year of this body style with the EFI motor in it. This car was 100% original, previous owner drove it as a daily since 1996. Cold AC, heat, manual windows and locks.

I have either replaced or upgraded almost everything so far but the motor. Ive done carpet, seats, rims, tires, an immense amount of body work, new hood, and every sensor you could think of. A lot of money invested in this car.
Anyways, the reasons why I got an Explorer motor.
I found a cheap 302 E7TE motor on Craigslist. It had a badass set of valve covers and a set of equal length shorty headers. I figured, if the motor was a bust, I could get rid of the block and keep the explorer intake it had and the valve covers and headers and not take that big of a loss. I sold my Sub-2000 to get that motor, so I wasn't losing much anyways since I got the gun for free.
Well, turns out it was a bust, had two cylinders with pitting. So I said screw it, pulled off all the good stuff I needed, like the oil pan and the timing cover, and few other things. I took the rest of the crap and used it as a core on the Explorer 5.0. It had the GT40 heads I wanted, plus a few other stuff that was better. I picked the motor up for $250. 4 spark plugs were broken off in the head, 3 in one, 1 in the other. Thats why it was so cheap. Easy out worked wonders lol.
I am doing cam swap, valve springs, roller rockers, and basically all new gaskets. It should put me down into the low 13's to mid 13's, a huge upgrade to the 14.7 second car I have.

Anywho, the good stuff. Pictures.
This is the old car I had, before and after what happened. I would do anything to get that thing back...
IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

My car before and after.
IMG_0115.jpg

CAM00161_zps28806662.jpg

yeah man that was my baby. I miss that car so much, and its been almost 3 years now. Hopefully the engine build will make it better lol, at least make it to where it's almost what I had. I think this one will be faster though.

At least I get to say I did everything to it lol, I bought the damn thing 100% stock, even with AC.
The best thing about it? The previous owners had two of them. Two 1986 Mustangs, Completely stock and both had AC. Damn.

Back