• Register Today It's free!

Door Actuator Dissicon

SupaSwope

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer 5.0 RWD
So I went to the Junk Yard yesterday and pulled a door actuator for my 99 Mountaineer. I had already read some threads and watched some videos so I knew what I was getting into. So I took the actuator off some Gen 2 explorer I didn't even look at the year. But I had to drill out the rivet as some of you might now to remove the actuator from the door itself. That was easy and I got it out no problem.

So today when I went to install it. Popped of the door panel, peeled back the water screen, unbolted the window track, discontented the wires to the window track, disconnected the electric from the actuator and when I went to look to drill out the rivet it wasn't there. Instead it had one of those plastic pull tabs for panels. I popped it out and connected up the new actuator and make sure it worked then checked the plastic insert to see if it would go in the actuator i got from the junkyard and drilled out and sure enough it fit perfect inside of the plastic ring in the metal bracket.

I never sall anyone else have one of those plastic tabs to hold the actuator. Is this something ford switched to in the later models of explorers/mountaineers?

lPeP18k.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a half-assed "repair" job. Surprised the plastic clip held. EVERY door lock actuator I've seen was factory riveted. This link is for the outside door handle, but the hardware should be the same. Due to the confined space, may be somewhat challenging holding and tightening the actuator bracket nut, but many have done it. Using a lock washer or Loctite with a regular nut may be easier. Or leave the panel off and have a body shop do it. Should take them no more than one minute.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...handle-replacement.165081/page-3#post-2070479

While I do agree it was probably a half ass repair job it held just fine for the last 2 years when I've owned the truck and the part that failed was the actuator itself. I just stuck the clip back in and it holds the actuator just fine and I don't see it going anywhere in the near future. If anything this is a great alternative to using the bolt method. I am sure the actuator in there was probably a junkyard unit before. So if anything. Just makes the next time I change it (If I have to) that much easier.

There should be a rivet holding the actuator bracket to the door. Even the rivets are known to break, so that has to be someone's half-ass repair job. I don't bother putting rivets back. I just use a short 1/4X20 bolt with a washer and nylock nut to replace all of those stupid door/window related rivets.

My 01 has rivets in the two front doors, the rear actuator has been replaced though. That clip looks like a patch to me. I'd just bolt it in with an appropriate bolt.

Back