• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Door Ajar issue "fixed"

lincolnshibuya

Reaction score
City, State
kc mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
A couple weeks ago my wife complained that the map light (and puddle lamps) doesn't go off when locking. It only turns off after the battery saver shuts it off. I accidentally forgot to turn off the auto lights one day when I have it parked inside the garage and drained the battery. Using the $5 battery tender from harbor freight I was able to charge it back overnight after repeated failed attempts of jump starting it.

Quick way to figure out which door is bad is to simply turn on the truck and open the door one by one and check for door chime or door ajar message, the one door that doesn't make the chime or door ajar message is the culprit. So I concluded that the door ajar switch is bad, a common issue. When I took the switch out it's still in very good condition and no wd40 could fix the issue. It's shorted, somehow the spring can't expand anymore that even at an uncompressed position it's still making contact. I looked at the price for the switch at the parts store and they are ridiculously expensive on the passenger side about $60, luckily I was able to find one in Amazon using the part # for $15 and it's the new Motorcraft part (not metal) Took the actuator out and replace it and everything worked..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5HTV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

extra-medium

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I tried taking mine out when it was acting up but nothing I did would get it lose from the door. Luckily mine was fixed with some penetrating lube and it's been fine every since.

mountaineer2004

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer (V8)
Wouldn't connecting those two wires fix your problem as well?
I mean, the door does actually close good, right?
Too much many nanny state nonsense!

Reactions: imp

lincolnshibuya

Reaction score
City, State
kc mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mercury mountaineer
For the explorers disconnecting the plug will fix the issue, it's the exact opposite on my Navigator/Expedition putting a jumper wire fixes the issue temporarily (all switches are bad but the driver side).

The door locks but since the switch is always on it thinks it's still unlocked, I've seen some of these switches break into 2 (metal and plastic separated) and that pin corroded with rust. I think the new all plastic design is better than the metal.

07gtman

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Mountaineer 4.6 AWD
my 02 has been doing this for about 4 years i just squirt a heavy dose of WD40 on the latch open and close the door 4/5 times and im good for about a year or so