Door ajar light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar light on

I have a 2004 Explorer XLT which has had no issues since I bought it, until this morning (not huge, just annoying). The door ajar light is on, keeping the interior lights on, despite all doors being closed. I've tried the door ding test, none of the doors ding. I've tried spraying WD-40 and slamming the doors a couple times, still nothing.

Wondering if anyone has had the same issue and can point me in the next direction.

Edit: I'm assuming possibly driver door, a couple weeks ago someone yanked the handle in my driveway trying to break in and I had to replace the handle, not sure if those would correspond at all or simply coincidence.

Edit 2: The hatch and hatch window dinged so it's one of the four doors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford door switches are notoriously bad. It's probably in one of your rear doors. Open the door, pull off the door panel, and unplug the little harness that goes to your latch assembly. When your warning lamp and lights go off, that's the door with the bad switch. The switches are like 15 or 20 bucks at the parts store.

Ford door switches are notoriously bad. It's probably in one of your rear doors. Open the door, pull off the door panel, and unplug the little harness that goes to your latch assembly. When your warning lamp and lights go off, that's the door with the bad switch. The switches are like 15 or 20 bucks at the parts store.

Pulled them all off today, did as you said, none of them stopped. Any idea what my next steps should be?

The hatch and the window ding when opened but none of the doors do.

I guess I don't know enough about the wiring in a third gen to be of much more help over the forum. You should get an audible tone any time a door is opened with the key in the run position, and any time the driver's door is open with the key in the ignition. I guess it would help if a member more knowledgeable about third gens chimed in. Sorry I can't be of more help. The door switched on ford vehicles should close their contacts when the door isn't fully latches, therefore, unplugging them should have killed your door ajar light as that would leave an open circuit, which is the state your switches are in when the door is fully latched.

Just fixed my 2003. I tried the WD the broken wire in the drivers door boot but those didn't work for me.
My rear glass latch assembly was my problem.
I put the keys in the ignition and turned to ACC position.
unlocked the doors and opened the back glass hatch.
with a screwdriver manually close the small hatch. while it is closed push on the hatch. mine would make and break the small ball sensor with little or no effort. So any glass hatch movement would trigger the alarm.
I pulled the rear hatch door trim by removing the four screws and popping the panel snaps. I pulled the small sensor connector apart and inserted a shorting wire between the two pins and taped it in place. Replaced all the parts and am good to go. yes I have deactivated the glass sensor and alarm etc but I can drive in peace and sleep through the night without the alarm going off.

Thanks for trying, FIND.

My alarm doesn't go off at all because of this problem (luckily), so I believe my issue is different.
Driver door doesn't turn on the dome light but all others do. Door ajar light constantly on but doesn't make my alarm go off, ever.

When I open the hatch, and hatch window, both ding as they should. So it's related to the 4 doors.

How are your door locks strikers???

If you have a scanner with data logging or know someone with one it will tell you the one that is showing open. Also like decvd2 did you can open eaxh door and manually close the latches and push them just a bit further manually to try and find the culprit.
Good luck, Nate

Open one Door at a time with keys in ignition and on.
manually close the door latch and then giggle the latch and see if it send the door ajar alarm into a feenzy.
That is how I isolated the latch sensor with the problem.

My car alarm would go off all the time when the wind blew or things got cold and moved slightly

If the door ajar light is always on then a sensor is in open state.
could be a broken wire in the drivers door bulkhead .
I took mine apart and found the black wire that is talked about on other sites.
The black wire on my vehicle had the insulation cut but the wire was intact

Back