• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar light on

Jenr55

Reaction score
City, State
Brooksville ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer xlt
I have 04 explorer with door ajar light on. Causes interior lights 2 stay on a long time after locking it my power mirrors dont work. I tried the wd40 in the latches and still this light stays on. Help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be a couple other things. The more "complicated" one is that there's a wire in the harness that's broken. Usually inside the rubber boot near the door hinges.

The "easier" one is that it's the door latch assembly. Yes, you may have tried the WD40 trick, but sometimes that still isn't enough. I had the same issue a while back; the interior lights would come on...the WD40 didn't work for me so I ended up replacing the latch assembly and that fixed it.

Latch assembly is on the way.

This video does a great job showing how to diagnose and fix a door ajar issue...

I recently had a issue with my 05 explorer where the keyless entry, the key FOB, power locks, all stopped working, and when you turn it off the accessory power stays on until the battery saver shuts it off. I tried trouble shooting the door accordians and found no breaks. Turns out the Centrak Security Module controls all that as well. It is bad and needs replaced. So if you can't find a problem in latches or wiring you may want to look there as well.

I recently had a issue with my 05 explorer where the keyless entry, the key FOB, power locks, all stopped working, and when you turn it off the accessory power stays on until the battery saver shuts it off. I tried trouble shooting the door accordians and found no breaks. Turns out the Centrak Security Module controls all that as well. It is bad and needs replaced. So if you can't find a problem in latches or wiring you may want to look there as well.

My 2002 Explorer SportTrac did almost the same thing. All of a sudden, it would not unlock (I was parked at the grocery store) with the fob, it would not unlock with the key. Thank goodness, the keyless combination worked. My daughter's boyfriend disconnected the battery, reconnected it, and everything worked again. I have her in the shop right now. They plan on having a locksmith check the locks, the ignition, etc. There are several other issues I have had with my truck ... when they quoted 2518.00, I started to cancel most everything on my list to fix ... too much money.

Back