• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Light

albertabound

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLS 4WD
This one is a pain. For a month, my door ajar light and all interior lights stay on when the doors are closed. The interior lights go off after a few seconds of driving yet the door ajar dashboard warning stays on.. When I turn off the ignition, the interior lights stay on for 30-45 minutes ( I haven't actually timed it, just a guess). The only way to get them off immediately is to pull a fuse on the LH side of the dash when the driver's door is open. Then of course the wipers, power windows and other things don't work. I have tried spraying the latches with WD40, but this does not seem to work. I can only assume that it has something to do with the rear door/hatch because the rear wiper will not function at all. Help!!!

I think there have been lots of posts on this but one good tip on trouble shooting (ie. finding the switch that is the problem) is to go around and opening and closing ports to cause the chime (that goes along with the door ajar).... the opening that doesn't cause the chime is the one with the stuck switch. From there, you focus on the fixing the appropriate contact or just unplugging the offending switch.

Further to the door ajar and interior lights problem...

I bought some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, sprayed the door latches on my rear door and window hatches, and after a few minutes the problem was solved. Tried the same with WD40 but it did not work. There is obviously something in this stuff that cleans electronic parts very well. Highly recommended!! It costs about $6/can at a local auto parts store. :)

Back