• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Never shutting off

Sitcoms

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
Hello, looking to hopefully get this fixed so i can finally have a inside light on my explorer.

I have a 1999 Explorer Sport, and we've narrowed it down to something with the rear lift gate.

Took off all the door panels, checked all fuses, checked the wiring throughout and can not seem to figure out why this door ajar light will not go off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might want to check your door ajar switches located by the door latch mechanisms.

I recently had an issue with the dome lights staying on regardless if door was open or not, or if I was driving. I figured it was either the door ajar switch, or the GEM. I pulled both in a junkyard. I replaced the switch first, since I had the door panel off of my driver door to remove the switch so I could see what I needed in the junkyard. Problem solved. The GEM went in a bag, and into my toolbox for later possible failure.

You could also try hitting the switches with WD-40 or an electrical contact cleaner...?

You might want to check your door ajar switches located by the door latch mechanisms.

I recently had an issue with the dome lights staying on regardless if door was open or not, or if I was driving. I figured it was either the door ajar switch, or the GEM. I pulled both in a junkyard. I replaced the switch first, since I had the door panel off of my driver door to remove the switch so I could see what I needed in the junkyard. Problem solved. The GEM went in a bag, and into my toolbox for later possible failure.

You could also try hitting the switches with WD-40 or an electrical contact cleaner...?

Will try to hit it with WD-40 or an electrical cleaner first before i hit the junk yard.

Dig on here for thread relating to that switch and what people have done to them to make them work.

My particular switch AFAIK is $14.59 shipped on eBay. Motorcraft SW-1653. If the junkyard switch I picked up didn't work, or work correctly, or failed with a multimeter, I was just going to order a new one.

Bad switch, probably in the driver's door (because it gets the most use, but it can be any door, lift-gate or rear window switch). Easy to change, just one Phillips screw and a wire connector. If it sayings DOOR AJAR all the time, WD40 will probably not help

Bad switch, probably in the driver's door (because it gets the most use, but it can be any door, lift-gate or rear window switch). Easy to change, just one Phillips screw and a wire connector. If it sayings DOOR AJAR all the time, WD40 will probably not help

Alright, when I get a chance I'll try to locate which door it is (I believe it is the lift gate) and try to locate/replace the switch.

So today it decided to go off randomly when i shut my lift gate. I slammed it shut, and noticed that A. The lift gate doesn't always seem to close all the way - it will stay shut, but there's more of a gap than normal, and the handle to open it does not always fully go back into position, I.E. it gets stuck in the position when you are opening the door. If I slam my lift gate shut and then push the handle so it goes back into the resting position, it seems to shut the light off. Suggestions?

lubricate the handle and latching mechanisms. Preferably with something other than WD40, such as Remington or Hoppes gun oil, or 3-in-1 oil.

if WD-40 is all you have, then use it. Give it a couple squirts and work the mechanism a couple dozen times.

lubricate the handle and latching mechanisms. Preferably with something other than WD40, such as Remington or Hoppes gun oil, or 3-in-1 oil.

if WD-40 is all you have, then use it. Give it a couple squirts and work the mechanism a couple dozen times.

Alright, will try this. Are those oils readily available at hardware stores, or would it be best to just go to an auto parts store to find it? I currently dont have anything (Ran out of WD-40.. a sin I know..) so i can just run out and get it.

Spray lubricant on the lift-gate handle's 2 pivot points/hinge. If the handle doesn't come down by itself, the lift-gate latches are remaining open (or partially open) hence the DOOR AJAR light is on. When I bought my '01 EB the PO told me I had to slam the lift-gate closed to make the light go off. I discovered that made the handle go down, closing it normally left it in the UP position. A little spray lube on the handle, and it hasn't been a problem in 3 years.

Spray lubricant on the lift-gate handle's 2 pivot points/hinge. If the handle doesn't come down by itself, the lift-gate latches are remaining open (or partially open) hence the DOOR AJAR light is on. When I bought my '01 EB the PO told me I had to slam the lift-gate closed to make the light go off. I discovered that made the handle go down, closing it normally left it in the UP position. A little spray lube on the handle, and it hasn't been a problem in 3 years.

Alright, will do this tomorrow when i get a chance. It'll be nice to have an inside dome light again..

Alright, will try this. Are those oils readily available at hardware stores, or would it be best to just go to an auto parts store to find it? I currently dont have anything (Ran out of WD-40.. a sin I know..) so i can just run out and get it.

the gun oil and 3-in-1 can be had at Wal-mart, meijer, etc... Aside from that, I don't know any place that would stock the gun oil as well. Small-town mom-and-pop hardware stores probably would.

In a pinch, Olive oil or canola will work too. ;)

the gun oil and 3-in-1 can be had at Wal-mart, meijer, etc... Aside from that, I don't know any place that would stock the gun oil as well. Small-town mom-and-pop hardware stores probably would.

In a pinch, Olive oil or canola will work too. ;)

haha alright, i'll check the small hardware store down the street, if not i'll just go to walmart

Update: grabbed a can of WD-40, sprayed within the handle mechanism as well as the two latches on either side of the light gate. It now closes correctly and the door ajar light is off.

Update: grabbed a can of WD-40, sprayed within the handle mechanism as well as the two latches on either side of the light gate. It now closes correctly and the door ajar light is off.

Told ya. Congrats!

Told ya. Congrats!

Did you now...?

Just teasing, I know new info gets a new diagnosis ;) I had to be a smart***

Back