• Register Today It's free!

Door AJAR...NOTHING HELPS

livewire21

Reaction score
City, State
mtn grove,missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
Heres the deal...it started when the pass.door would,nt unlock. sprayed the latch,it started working. the next day the door ajar light came on,slammed both doors and hatch,still on. My next step was come here and read everything i could find on the door ajar light. So heres what i,ve done. Sprayed all latches..again,removed the boots between door and body,checked for broke wires...all looked ok..so i checked with ohm meter,all ok. Now what? is there a fuse or beaker or something little i,ve missed? I have a 99 sport. I also have all the things wrong that come with the door ajar light, domelight stays on,auto locks dont lock when vehical moves, double horn on remote.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody has any advice........no idea what to do next?

Does your rear wiper work? There is also a switch for the rear window. If your wiper doesn't work, then it's that one.

where is this switch? are you talking about a breaker?

the rear window wiper is working. the chime that goes off when the door is open & the keys are in, does,nt work on pass. door or rear hatch.

Heres the deal...it started when the pass.door would,nt unlock. sprayed the latch,it started working. the next day the door ajar light came on,slammed both doors and hatch,still on. My next step was come here and read everything i could find on the door ajar light. So heres what i,ve done. Sprayed all latches..again,removed the boots between door and body,checked for broke wires...all looked ok..so i checked with ohm meter,all ok. Now what? is there a fuse or beaker or something little i,ve missed? I have a 99 sport. I also have all the things wrong that come with the door ajar light, domelight stays on,auto locks dont lock when vehical moves, double horn on remote.

IIRC, there is a switch built into each latch that signals that the door is ajar; these switches break. They usually break in such a way that the system always thinks the door is closed; yours apparently broke the other way. I have seen threads here that describe how to fix them; try searching for "door latch repair" or something related. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what thread was called; nor do I have access to a schematic. Good luck.

I have access to the door latch removal instructions, which has a diagram on what the door latch mechanism looks like inside the door...I could email them to you if you would like.

Thanks Guys, I just got back from town,talked to a guy that runs an automotive eletric shop. i,ll take dood switch out tonight and mess with it. ordered new ones"both styles" from O Reilly,be here in morning.

Thanks Guys, I just got back from town,talked to a guy that runs an automotive eletric shop. i,ll take dood switch out tonight and mess with it. ordered new ones"both styles" from O Reilly,be here in morning.

Found a wiring diagram. Each of the door ajar switches feed a ground into the GEM (generic equipment module); the GEM figures out what to do with them. Give me the year and engine of your vehicle and I can tell you wire colors in the door and hatchback bundles if you can't replace switches and need to know what to cut to disable a particular switch.

Thanks to everybody.......replaced switch in pass. door and that fixed it:D

I can't find the switch for the rear hatch on my 94 aerostar awd.Even pulling the fuse to the circuit which also controls a/c compressor clutch,and speed sensor still keeps the inside lights on.The door ajar light comes on or off when driving over bumps.I suspected a bad ground and the rear hatch seems the likely source.

Back