Door ajar, rear window problems, possible electrical issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar, rear window problems, possible electrical issue

duggan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
My 2003 Ford Explorer is having a few problems. First the rear 2 power windows stopped working. Front windows still work fine. Soon after I would get intermittent quick "door ajar" warnings while driving, and the alarm started going off randomly when the car is parked. I'm assuming the alarm issue is related to the door ajar issue.

Assuming all the issues are related, I removed the driver's side door panel and went looking for a broken or disconnected wire, and put some wd40 on the latch for good measure.

I did not find any broken wires, but after putting it back together the door ajar light stays on longer but will occasionally shut off for a minute or 2. Rear windows still don't work, but the front windows, mirrors, and door locks all still work fine.

So I'm thinking it's likely I'm on the right track and there is a damaged wire since SOMETHING changed after I messed with the wires a bit, but I can't see anything. Anyone have any hints as far as which wire I need to be looking for given my symptoms? Anything else I'm missing?

By the way, I'm also having trouble getting the wire bundle from the driver's side mirror disconnected from the door panel. So far I've left it plugged in and just put the panel to the side. Seems like it should just unplug, can't see a latch, but I've given it enough force that it seems like I'm gonna break something if I pull any harder. Doesn't seem to budge.

I'm also going to take a moment to say how much I hate working on newer cars. Sooooo much brittle plastic. I was so careful taking the panel apart, slid everything the correct way sooooo gently, then one of those plastic hooks just crumbles almost like it was already broken. My wife, of course, swears I must have been banging on it like some kind of caveman, haha.

I had that issues on my 04 EXP last summer. I did the same thing, took off door pan and fund nothing. I was at the Jersey Shore and lived upstate ny. I had a 90 mile drive with dome light on and open door chime every bump. when I got home I was determined to figure this out. I took off door pan again and just looked at it. I then noticed a wiring loom boot that is in the door jam. I opened the look and saw a black wire the looked like it was folded. AS SOON as I touched it, I knew it was broken. That wire harness is TIGHT! I did the best I could to strip the wire and added a 6" patch wire to it and crimped it. 1 year later all is well.

I hope that helps with some of your problems, well at least 1

Back