• Register Today It's free!

Door ajar stuck

BreakfastNinja

Reaction score
City, State
jackson NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer sport
My door ajar light has been stuck om for 3 days now and it's snoring the ever living out of me. Can anyone help to solve this issue? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure,

Open one door at a time and press the "door closed" switch by hand.

You will see your dome lights go out. If your vehicle is equipped with a timer keep holding the switch until the lights go out.

The door switch that does NOT turn out the lights is bad.

Probably the drivers door as it gets the most use.

Hope this helps.

Also on the rear hatch I'm not sure on a '99 whether it has a push button type switch or if they still use the latch.

If they still use the latch, it is the driver's side latch. You need to "pinch" the latch closed by hand. Pliers may be necessary. Make sure you unlatch it before you slam the gate! Just use the outside handle to unlatch it.

with the engine running and gear selector in park, open all doors one at a time. When a door is opened, you should hear a chime. The door which does not chime has the bad latch-switch.

Once you have identified which door latch is malfunctioning, this thread may help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190221

Really? door latch controlled? on the fronts? learn sump'n new every day.

Simple plunger switch must have just seemed to effective and inexpensive to be sell'n to the modern yuppie.

er a, not that your a yuppie if you own a 99 sport. just, well you know what I mean.

Back