Door Ajar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar

Ford_Lady123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer LImit
Having read lots of posts about the door ajar problem, I've not found my answer. The door ajar warning goes off randomly , driving down the road the door ajar warning goes off, doors lock/unlock and it also sets off the alarm, which drains my battery, because I took the horn fuses out, so I never know when the headlights are flashing in panic mode.
I have sprayed WD-40 in all the latches, opening and closing the doors for several minutes, I've taken off drivers side panel , no broken wires
This is what I tried next , I rolled down drivers window, turned key to the on position, then opened each door, one at a time, the back hatch and the back glass, all of them chimed and had the door ajar light come on on the dash , except for passengers front door, it didn't do anything, now after such a long post, trying to explain , my question is:
Is that my problem door ?? Thanks so much in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I traced mine back to broken wires in the boot of the driver's door.

I traced mine back to broken wires in the boot of the driver's door.
I checked all the wires in the drivers door, pulled the boot back, all the wires looked good.. I'm wondering why passengers door didn't trigger the door ajar alarm when I opened it ?

If it isn't triggering the alarm when the door is opened, but the rest do, it's likely the bad switch.
Try using the radio in the acc. position (turn key on and off with radio on, so truck isn't running) and test each door. When the door is opened, the radio will turn off when the switch is working.
It is simple to change the switches, about 20-30 mins. ea., so I don't get why most people don't just change them. That is the best, proper, and permanent fix.
All of the supposed fixes are like trying to pick up a turd from the clean end.

Thanks for your help, it's now fixed :) Now to get back to the misfire I can't get rid of :(

Back