Door Handle Covers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Door Handle Covers

FLORIDAex

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I just wanted to post an update, I put black door handle covers on my EX over the weekend. Easy to install, full coverage as viewed from the side. You will see some chrome if you are at the door handle looking down at it. I tried to get covers that were “smart key” compatible, which looked awful. They cut the hole super large, nearly twice what it needs to be. So I was going to modify the covers that do not come with the cut out, but you don’t need to! The smart key works, better I think, with the covers on. So no hole, no plastic dip peeling off, so painting, etc. I bought them off Amazon for $22.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Twilley

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I just wanted to post an update, I put black door handle covers on my EX ... I bought them off Amazon for $22.

Can you share which ones/brand?
I’m shopping for black handles.

FLORIDAex

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I found them on Amazon, I had previously tried the Ninte ones, but the hole for the smart key was ridiculously big. The listing is NewYall set of four. They completely cover the smart key, but it still works under the cover. You can still see some of the chrome on the rear door handles, but only if you are at the door looking down onto the handle. Good Luck!

Twilley

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I found them on Amazon...You can still see some of the chrome on the rear door handles, but only if you are at the door looking down onto the handle. Good Luck!

I got the NewAll ones from Amazon, which cover the smart key whole. The smart key works just fine, in both rain and dry.

The chrome peeks thru when looking down, nothing a small burst of black Plasti Dip can’t fix!!!

$23 shipped. Not bad. Now let’s see how long the 3M tape holds up.

https://i.imgur.com/hYsXO2r.jpg

Adomenicone21

Reaction score
City, State
East providence Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
I just wanted to post an update, I put black door handle covers on my EX over the weekend. Easy to install, full coverage as viewed from the side. You will see some chrome if you are at the door handle looking down at it. I tried to get covers that were “smart key” compatible, which looked awful. They cut the hole super large, nearly twice what it needs to be. So I was going to modify the covers that do not come with the cut out, but you don’t need to! The smart key works, better I think, with the covers on. So no hole, no plastic dip peeling off, so painting, etc. I bought them off Amazon for $22.

Do you have the link for the covers?

Adomenicone21

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
I recently bought a white 2012 explorer limited. I’m in the process of doing all the chrome deletes. I bought covers for the door handles but they don’t fit the sensors. Anyone have any good options to cover the chrome?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Do you have the link for the covers?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last active here on Oct. 16th. Do you have a 2012 or 2013? Your post mentions 2012 but your profile shows 2013.

Peter

Adomenicone21

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer limited
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last active here on Oct. 16th. Do you have a 2012 or 2013? Your post mentions 2012 but your profile shows 2013.

Peter

I thought I fixed that, sorry. It’s a 2012.

vehx

Reaction score
City, State
IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Limited Explorer
I recently bought a white 2012 explorer limited. I’m in the process of doing all the chrome deletes. I bought covers for the door handles but they don’t fit the sensors. Anyone have any good options to cover the chrome?

I plasti-dipped all my handles (and all other chrome trim pieces, so badges, runners, the front grille pieces) around 2 years ago, I had to re-do the driver because it peeled but I put a piece of 3m tape slightly overlapping the edge (you still can't see it unless its pointed out) and there has been no issues. No chipping or anything on any of the others either.

Removing the handles is pretty easy, I just got a giant l-key that could fit the bit in it, and taped it so it wouldn't come out accidentally. Takes a bit of practice to find the bolt but if you peel the plastic covering off you can see fairly easily.