Door Handle Covers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Handle Covers

I just wanted to post an update, I put black door handle covers on my EX over the weekend. Easy to install, full coverage as viewed from the side. You will see some chrome if you are at the door handle looking down at it. I tried to get covers that were “smart key” compatible, which looked awful. They cut the hole super large, nearly twice what it needs to be. So I was going to modify the covers that do not come with the cut out, but you don’t need to! The smart key works, better I think, with the covers on. So no hole, no plastic dip peeling off, so painting, etc. I bought them off Amazon for $22.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just wanted to post an update, I put black door handle covers on my EX ... I bought them off Amazon for $22.

Can you share which ones/brand?
I’m shopping for black handles.

I found them on Amazon, I had previously tried the Ninte ones, but the hole for the smart key was ridiculously big. The listing is NewYall set of four. They completely cover the smart key, but it still works under the cover. You can still see some of the chrome on the rear door handles, but only if you are at the door looking down onto the handle. Good Luck!

I found them on Amazon...You can still see some of the chrome on the rear door handles, but only if you are at the door looking down onto the handle. Good Luck!

I got the NewAll ones from Amazon, which cover the smart key whole. The smart key works just fine, in both rain and dry.

The chrome peeks thru when looking down, nothing a small burst of black Plasti Dip can’t fix!!!

$23 shipped. Not bad. Now let’s see how long the 3M tape holds up.

https://i.imgur.com/hYsXO2r.jpg

I just wanted to post an update, I put black door handle covers on my EX over the weekend. Easy to install, full coverage as viewed from the side. You will see some chrome if you are at the door handle looking down at it. I tried to get covers that were “smart key” compatible, which looked awful. They cut the hole super large, nearly twice what it needs to be. So I was going to modify the covers that do not come with the cut out, but you don’t need to! The smart key works, better I think, with the covers on. So no hole, no plastic dip peeling off, so painting, etc. I bought them off Amazon for $22.

Do you have the link for the covers?

I recently bought a white 2012 explorer limited. I’m in the process of doing all the chrome deletes. I bought covers for the door handles but they don’t fit the sensors. Anyone have any good options to cover the chrome?

Do you have the link for the covers?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last active here on Oct. 16th. Do you have a 2012 or 2013? Your post mentions 2012 but your profile shows 2013.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last active here on Oct. 16th. Do you have a 2012 or 2013? Your post mentions 2012 but your profile shows 2013.

Peter

I thought I fixed that, sorry. It’s a 2012.

I recently bought a white 2012 explorer limited. I’m in the process of doing all the chrome deletes. I bought covers for the door handles but they don’t fit the sensors. Anyone have any good options to cover the chrome?

I plasti-dipped all my handles (and all other chrome trim pieces, so badges, runners, the front grille pieces) around 2 years ago, I had to re-do the driver because it peeled but I put a piece of 3m tape slightly overlapping the edge (you still can't see it unless its pointed out) and there has been no issues. No chipping or anything on any of the others either.

Removing the handles is pretty easy, I just got a giant l-key that could fit the bit in it, and taped it so it wouldn't come out accidentally. Takes a bit of practice to find the bolt but if you peel the plastic covering off you can see fairly easily.

Back