• Register Today It's free!

Door handle problem.

deanamal

Reaction score
City, State
Keller, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Hello all! Glad to be here. I just purchased a '97 Explorer XLT that has a driver door handle issue. It has power locks. The other day, my wife said she can't unlock the door. I pulled the door panel off and noticed the arm that attaches to the cylinder lock has popped off. I put that back together and button it up and then realize that the door handle doesn't work. I see that the link that attaches to the door handle and connects to the latch had slipped off. I slipped it back on but HOW does it stay attached to the latch mechanism?
I see it has a plastic tab that opens where it threads onto the rod that is connected to the door handle. The "nub" that fits into the latch mechanism has a square hole in it that looks like it need a clip in it to keep the nub from slipping out. I was able to feed a paper clip thru it as a temp fix but what do I need to make this repair permanent? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for having this great site up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any auto parts store should have the clip that you need

ford door lock rod clip autozone has this

Thanks!!!

I appreciate the info - this site rocks. I will definitely tell my friends!

To Frankyd

Called AutoZone, they have the parts, it's a kit of several connectors for $3.99. Excellent!

glad to help out :-)

Back