door handle spring

676cyl

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XL 4 dr 4.0L
My drivers door handle has gone limp !!
Seriously I think the spring has broken ??
Has anyone had this experience. Is it difficult to replace it ?
The handle still opens the door.
Thanks,
Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same happen to me last year. my buddy and I drilled out the old rivots and put the new one on. We had to fab it up though cause the rivots that came with the door handle from ford wouldn't fit our rivot gun.....
we ended up drilling some holes and putting a total of 4 rivots in......works great to this day...

since I see you're from toronto - i'll give the cost in canadian........it was $110 for my handle right from the dealer. it comes prepainted to the model - i have a 95 red sport.

If you are talking about the outside handle, my 97 did the same thing. It was a small spring that put pressure on the door handle and had nothing to do with opening the door. I opened up the door and looked at the spring but decided to just live with it. It was like that until the day an older lady decided to drive right through me at 45 MPH and totalled the 97.

My door handle has the same symptoms. I'm just living with it until it takes a crap.

Same thing on mine. Went to get in one day heard a pop and since then it's felt loose...kinda funny though my dad's had broke the day before. It still works though so i'm just going to live with like positive vibes, till it falls off.

Later
CP :D

My 93 Ranger driver door is the same way, and so is my wife's 92 Ex Sport.:(

Back