• Register Today It's free!

Door keypad malfunction

1RadCJ5

Reaction score
City, State
Kennebunk,Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport-Trac 4x4 4.0L
Someone has to know a solution here. A year ago, the 9\0 button on my keyless entry pad stopped working. All other numbers on the keyless entry pad still worked, as every other one would illuminate my keypad and dome light when pressed. I assumed the keypad button crapped out. I just installed another brand new keypad, direct from ford, and have the damn problem, and now I'm out $100 with no keyless entry. Anyone know what may cause a single button to not function? If it may be a wire, any idea what color wire may control that 9\0 button, or how to test it ? This is downright frustrating!!! Thanks everyone, I know I'm not the 1st with this issue!!! Mike :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly a broken wire in the driver's door jamb connector. It happens, I had a wire break that was for the locks, and I even replaced the switch no change, then I checked out the wires and found a broken wire, fixed it and all was well again. The link below will help you out.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255318

Thanks for the input on the broken wire. I went outside at 5am, and pulled the door apart, and separated the harness where it bolts together as one connection(kinda like a firewall junction harness), between the door and jamb. I found a very small yellow wire w\black stripe broken clean off. I temporarily stripped it, and twisted it back together, and voila, keypad functions again! I ended up sliding the big rubber boot around, fishing the wire back through and splicing it back together. Happy camper now! Again, thanks for the input!!!! Remember everyone, it appears the small yellow wire with the black stripe only connects to the 9\0 button on keypad, as every other button on it still worked.

Possibly a broken wire in the driver's door jamb connector. It happens, I had a wire break that was for the locks, and I even replaced the switch no change, then I checked out the wires and found a broken wire, fixed it and all was well again. The link below will help you out.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255318

I have the same problem with mine except the 1/2 button. I can still lock the truck by hitting the last 2 buttons but can't enter my code in. Very frustrating considering I used it all the time.

Thanks for the input on the broken wire. I went outside at 5am, and pulled the door apart, and separated the harness where it bolts together as one connection(kinda like a firewall junction harness), between the door and jamb. I found a very small yellow wire w\black stripe broken clean off. I temporarily stripped it, and twisted it back together, and voila, keypad functions again! I ended up sliding the big rubber boot around, fishing the wire back through and splicing it back together. Happy camper now! Again, thanks for the input!!!! Remember everyone, it appears the small yellow wire with the black stripe only connects to the 9\0 button on keypad, as every other button on it still worked.

Are you talking about the large connector inside the door jamb about halfway up?

Yepp that's it, it's easy to fix, just loosen the bolt on the top, disconnect the bottom half, pull back the boot and you can see all the wires.

Yepp that's it, it's easy to fix, just loosen the bolt on the top, disconnect the bottom half, pull back the boot and you can see all the wires.

Agreed with just1me - I took that bolt out, separated the harness, and the yellow\black broken wore popped right out. Kind of and awkward spot to work in, but in less than 2 hrs I had it fixed. SOOO worth it, just wish I hadn,t wasted the $$ on a new keypad, but I guess at least I still have my old working unit as a spare, as they aren't easy to find used.

Ok I know exactly where to look then. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone happen to have a wiring schematic, or a link, in PDF form that may show this or all areas of these vehicles? At least we would know which color wire to trace in these cases. Mike

I can tell you the connector in the door jamb is C510 as far as wiring you can find free diagrams on autozone and bbbind.com

If I remember right all my keypad buttons illuminate and I don't think I have the wired keypad but the wireless (I believe wired is from factory and remote/wireless kind is from dealer?) anyway all buttons light up buttons and dome but code won't unlock doors (I can lock the doors thou), I also have the original code card.

Any ideas? This has bothered me for some time and haven't had any solid leads

Back