• Register Today It's free!

Door keypad not lighting/working

Jus Cruisin

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton Township MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer - SOLD
For one, the pad area is hard to locate when it is sitting in the garage. But today, it won't light up or work. Looking like I'll be calling to schedule a service appointment. Not the end of the world but inconvenient when I keep it locked in order to have the mirrors retracted. It's a bit of a squeeze pulling my F150 in next to it. I went to unlock it earlier and at first I thought I was just not finding the area for the numbers. But nope. No matter where I touched the B pillar it wouldn't light up. Grrrrr

I'd much prefer exposed numbers like the F150's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pad, when working, should be easy to find by just swiping the door moulding. Have you checked the fuse? Fuse #9 shows for "keypad switch and rear climate control". If you want to retract the mirrors, why not just use the button?

Peter

If you have been sitting long enough for the BLM to put the computer to sleep to conserve battery, it won't light up until you use the key fob again.

For one, the pad area is hard to locate when it is sitting in the garage. But today, it won't light up or work. Looking like I'll be calling to schedule a service appointment. Not the end of the world but inconvenient when I keep it locked in order to have the mirrors retracted. It's a bit of a squeeze pulling my F150 in next to it. I went to unlock it earlier and at first I thought I was just not finding the area for the numbers. But nope. No matter where I touched the B pillar it wouldn't light up. Grrrrr

I'd much prefer exposed numbers like the F150's.
My 2020 LTD is doing the same thing.

If you have been sitting long enough for the BLM to put the computer to sleep to conserve battery, it won't light up until you use the key fob again.
Mine has been sitting in the garage for a couple days and I just went out, swiped the pad and it lit up. Being it is in the garage, I don't bother locking it but have noticed that even after a week of being parked that the pad lights up every time when I open the door.

Peter

Well mine had been sitting for over a week so I hooked up the Battery Tender yesterday and just checked and still won't light up. I'll call the dealer Monday and get it in. I will check the fuse later on just to be sure that isn't the culprit.

I think it was in deep sleep. I pulled the Explorer out of the garage earlier so my wife and mother in law could go to the doctor. Anyway, I get a FordPass notification indicating remote features were disabled because it hadn't been started for some time. So I go back out and when I unlocked it the door keypad lit up. I'll see what it's doing later this afternoon once they get back and see if it is working.

I found a trick to getting the keypad to light up. Run your palm down it first, it seems to work every time.

The issue I have is I lock my keys in the vehicle so I don't have carry them around. My 2020 Explorer has been sitting for 5-6 days and today I tried to use the keyless entry and it doesn't light up to enter the code. I have no way to get inside and we are away from home so I don't have the second set of keys. Read somewhere it's going into some kind of a sleep mode, wondering how remove from sleep mode as I don't have the other side of keys with me.
Does anyone have a suggestions???

The issue I have is I lock my keys in the vehicle so I don't have carry them around. My 2020 Explorer has been sitting for 5-6 days and today I tried to use the keyless entry and it doesn't light up to enter the code. I have no way to get inside and we are away from home so I don't have the second set of keys. Does anyone have a suggestions???
Use the FordPass app to unlock and start the vehicle.

You might try your ford pass app to remote unlock it but I have a feeling the sleep mode prevents that. Sounds like that is a big risk of relying on the door code.

Use the FordPass app to unlock and start the vehicle.
Thanks good idea, I downloaded the FordPass app but in order to get it operational you need to get inside the vehicle. That's my problem, I can't get inside.

The issue I have is I lock my keys in the vehicle so I don't have carry them around. My 2020 Explorer has been sitting for 5-6 days and today I tried to use the keyless entry and it doesn't light up to enter the code. I have no way to get inside and we are away from home so I don't have the second set of keys. Read somewhere it's going into some kind of a sleep mode, wondering how remove from sleep mode as I don't have the other side of keys with me.
Does anyone have a suggestions???
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you tried calling Roadside Assistance? It's a complimentary service that includes lockout service.
United States vehicle customers who
require Roadside Assistance, call
1-800-241-3673.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you tried calling Roadside Assistance? It's a complimentary service that includes lockout service.
United States vehicle customers who
require Roadside Assistance, call
1-800-241-3673.

Peter
Thanks Peter, we had AAA so I called them and was able to get in. I did set up FordPass which is working great. Just wish my dealership would have mentioned this when picking up the vehicle. Have a great day.

Thanks Peter, we had AAA so I called them and was able to get in. I did set up FordPass which is working great. Just wish my dealership would have mentioned this when picking up the vehicle. Have a great day.
It's actually in the Owner's Manual. ;)

Make sure you get 42,000 reward points through the app when you purchased the vehicle which is good for $210 worth of goods and services from the Ford dealer. That's the best reason to download the app when you pick up the new vehicle and it also activates the warranty.

So how the heck did AAA manage to get in?

So how the heck did AAA manage to get in?
They stuck a small bladder in the door at the top corner, pumped it up enough to get a tool in and grab the door handle and open the door. Took about 3 minutes.

They stuck a small bladder in the door at the top corner, pumped it up enough to get a tool in and grab the door handle and open the door. Took about 3 minutes.
Perhaps that should give you second thoughts about leaving your keys locked inside. I don't imagine AAA are the only ones that know that trick.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps that should give you second thoughts about leaving your keys locked inside. I don't imagine AAA are the only ones that know that trick.

Peter
Super common way to break into lost vehicles. They’ve been doing it for over 20 years. This can also bend the door frame of these light weight vehicles and cause wind/rain noise later on.

I surely wouldn’t lock my keys in one of these.

Back