• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock Fix

cgolden

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus. OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT
My door lock broke and I couldnt find any fix on here so I thought I would post how to fix it.

First off the problem I had was the door would not unlock or lock with the key fob but they would unlock by turning the key backwords then forward.

First if you look at the door while it is open you should notice a hole in the bottem left side with nothing there. This is where a rivet should be and commenly breaks as far as I know because it has happened on both both sides for me and on one side of a friends. So the fix is to replace the rivit.

Steps.
1. Pull door panel off this can be done by prying along the bottem then up the sides.
2.once the panel is off you can pull the light buld off the bottem of the door to get the panel out of the way.
3. Next pull off the gray insulation that covers the door.
4. Now you will have to remove the window track on the left side to get to the actuator. To do this the is a brass bolt that hold it on that you have to take off.
5. Once the window rail is off you will be able to get to the acuator wich is in a black rubbery bag type thing. Once you find this there will be a metal bracket on it that you will need to pry off.
6. Now that the metal piece is off you need to pound the broken rivit out of it this can be dun with a hammer and a nail.
7. now just use a screw to hold the bracket where the rivet was and put the whole thing back togeather in the oppisit order.

Good luck
I did this on a 97' xlt

I just did this a week or 2 ago. I also used a bolt.

Dan

yeah sorry there are no pictures I didnt have time to take any while i was taking the door apart. Its not that hard though once u get in there.

Back