Door Lock Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock Issue

Bottom Line

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited
2004 XLT. When I am exiting the truck and presss the door lock all doors lock but the driver's side immediately unlocks. All other doors remain locked.I tried the passenger side door lock and when I press it with the door open all doors lock Also, all doors lock if I use the key fob with the driver's side open and remain locked. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

with the driver side door open when you hit the lock button on the door. the driver door stays unlocked, but all other doors lock.

if you do any other door all locks lock including the open door.

if you have the driver door open and you lock the doors with the keyless entry all locks lock including the driver door.

the only conclusion I can come up with is that it is set up so you can not accidently get out of your car hit the button and lock your keys in the car.

I know that if the engine is running and you lock the doors with the door open, they will automatically unlock. Like lounge lizard said, this is to prevent you from locking yourself out.

Agreed. My '04 XLT does it too, even though I have the keypad. Makes less sense for my case, but most cars past the century mark have this feature I think.

Until this started yesterday I would turn off the engine, take out the keys, open the door and get out. I would then press the lock button and close the door. It would stay locked. Something has changed.

Bottom Line, here is something to check out. Worth a shot. It won't cost you anything but time:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, etc.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found a broken wire and repaired it and all is back to normal!

Here is a great thread for removing the door panel,thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

I don't know if your issue is related to the keyless entry system or not. But, like I said, this won't cost you any $$ to check out.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. :D

Today I got out of the truck 8 - 10 times. Each time after gewtting out I hit the lock button and the door locked and stayed locked. Didn't do anything from yesterday when it would unlock after pressing the lock button. Strfange.

Today I got out of the truck 8 - 10 times. Each time after gewtting out I hit the lock button and the door locked and stayed locked. Didn't do anything from yesterday when it would unlock after pressing the lock button. Strfange.

Sounds like something is loose, disconnected, or damaged. Check all the connections in the driver's door and check for broken wires in the boot. My last post has instructions for removing the door panel and looking for broken wires in the boot. You need to disconnect the switches in the driver's door in order to remove the door panel so that check is easy. Good luck with the fix and keep us posted. ;)

it knows you are on to it's game!

you were talking about it to others and it knows! LOL

Had to run a bunch of errands yesterday. Got out of the truck at least 10X. Each time after getting out I pressed the lock button, closed the door and it stayeds locked. Appreciate the suggestions but while it's working I think I'll leave it alone.

just remember! when it is with in ear shot talk about it. this way it will keep working.

soon as it knows you don't care anymore it will stop working again. LOL

Back