• Register Today It's free!

Door lock switch removal

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
My step son who works at a salvage yard got me the power window switch/door lock panel for my 96 Explorer. Apparntly it was already on the shelf because it had a tag attached to it so he didn't actually remove it.

The door lock switch is worn out and you have to hit it just right to unlock the doors. Locking the doors takes just one hit. Most likely because the auto-lock feature has always been on.

So I removed the two screws around the door handle and it looks like the switch panel just slides out but I can't get it out. I've tried prying it out with a set of flathead screwdrivers but I'm afraid I'm going to break something.

So I looked at the Chilton's manual under "door panel removal" and can't figure out if I need to remove the entire door panel first or remove the switch panel if I needed to remove the door panel.

Do I need to remove the entire door panel, just replace the door lock switch?

Or is it the other way around? If you were needing to remove the door panel you have to remove the switch panel first?

you have to pull the entire door panel off first. you take the two screws out that you did under the door handle, then you pop the surround off around the door handle as well (it just pushes on). then the grab handle and switches will slide out the backside. now with that part, flip it so you can see all the wires. there will be two screws, undo them and pop the connector off. then you will have to use a small screw driver and unclip the switch from the grab handle (it has prongs in both sides). it sounds like a lot of work, but it is very easy to do.

Back