• Register Today It's free!

Door Lock Touble W/ Pictures

bigredexplo88

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
My driver side door lock will not lock on its own when using the power lock button, also the lock cylinder on the outside seems to jamb up when trying to unlock sometimes not all times however if i turn with force it will unlock. i have found the culprit, however i cant think of anyway to fix it. i belive the actuator is Mounted to the door using a Rivet. However the rivet head is broken off and i belive my actuator is jamming the rod inside the door. Just wanted to get some input on this. Anyone else have this problem? What was your Fix? was tinking about just putting cold weld on it to hold it up but not sure if itd work. Can i Rerivet?

See Pictures Below
(Note Picture was taken on Passenger Door Just to use as reference to what i need on Driver Door)

IMG00168-20100808-1707.jpg

IMG00167-20100808-1707.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: Thinks that was Exactly what i was looking for!!

That rivet is not broken .That is how they are .The problem you are describing sounds like the latch itself .When the actuator goes bad it usually just grinds or dont work at all that latch jams and its due to a worn out latch.They are not that expensive from the dealer its a common problem.

That rivet is not broken .That is how they are .The problem you are describing sounds like the latch itself .When the actuator goes bad it usually just grinds or dont work at all that latch jams and its due to a worn out latch.They are not that expensive from the dealer its a common problem.

Thats a pic for reference, not the broken one.

Back