Door locks stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door locks stopped working

Reaction score
City, State
Murrayville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I have a 2004 Explorer XLT and noticed on my way in to work this morning that my rear passenger blinker was not working. So on my lunch break I went to get a new bulb for it and when I went to lock the door with my key fob, the locks didn't do anything. So I tried locking it from inside and the button inside to lock the doors didn't work either. I cranked it back up and tried again and still nothing. Could this be a fuse or does it sound more like the actual assembly in the door might be bad? I didn't even think to see if the window worked. I'll try that when I leave for the day and see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

None of the power locks work, or only that door?

It was none of the locks. But after letting it sit for the afternoon at work, when I went out to leave, the locks all worked fine from the key fob. Not sure what that was, but it's all good now. I changed the blinker bulb last night and all is right with the world again. I'm sure it's not the end of the electronics issue but for now it seems to be working. Still would love any feedback on what might have caused it?

Sounds like a loose wire or contact. The left front door wire harness, where it passes from the door to the vehicle is notorious for stretched and/or broken wires, that give rise to all sorts of problems with the dome lights, windows, and locks.

Thanks for the info! I'll check that out this weekend to see if I can notice anything going on there.

Try checking fuses # 2 it is a 30 amp,# 16 it is a 15 amp, and # 22 it is a 20 amp in the battery junction box. This is the black box on the driver's side of the engine compartment behind the battery. there might be a loose or dirty connection on one of them.
Also check fuse # 20 it is a 5 amp in the central junction box, this is the one under the dash board on the driver's side.
These fuses have power to them at all times, so using a simple 12 volt test light should tell you if a fuse is good.
They are protection for the power wires going to the central security module, which is responsible for working the door locks and several other features.
I hope this helps.

i just fixed this on mine. the door lock switch wasn't working, the mirror control was not working right, door ajar light was on. decided after watching the video to look for a broken ground wire in the door harness. and I found it. a small piece of electrical wire, some crimps and some heat shrink, and everything is back to working correctly. took me about 45 minutes start to finish.

This just happened to my 2002 XLS. I was replacing the 4X4CM (4X4 Control Module) behind the pass. side glove box. Reconnected the battery (It was disconnected as should be whenever working with system electricals) and went for a test drive. Noticed none of my door locks worked anymore!
Thinking it might have been caused by the new 4X4CM, I undid the ONLY thing I did... I pulled it out module and put the old one back in. Reconnected the battery and still no door locks, and the fob that was also previously working now does nothing! All the window controls on the drivers armrest control work. I've checked every fuse listed but all are fine.
I have even performed the 'Power door unlock/lock autolock' procedure in the 'Controls and features' section of the Owners Manual. So far nothing... I can't explain why door locks just quit working. Any new ideas to try out there? HELP!

Back