• Register Today It's free!

Door Mechanism On 1998 Explorer

RUDYRX

Reaction score
City, State
MEDFORD, OREGON
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EXPLORER
I Have Had Nothing But Trouble With My 98 Explorer. The Interior Door Handle Fails To Open The Door And Resullts In Me Having To Roll Down The Window, Open The Door From Outside, Then Rollup Window (power) To Exit The Vehicle.
Does Any Body Have Views Of Latching Mechanisms Inside Door, Since My Wife Usually Drives This Car And Has Become Soo Frustrated That Now The Door Won't Open Form Either The Inside Or Outside Latch.
I Have Removed The Inside Door Panel, But Abit Confused On The Door Lock Mechanism Attachment. Seems It Has Come Off Due To Her Frustration And Beating On It. Any Visuals To Get My Bearings On This Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
(i Am A Newbie To Your Forum So Hi And Thanks For Your Help In Advance.)
Rudyrx

Typically its the actual plastic latch mechanism on the inside (the one you pull on) -- which fortunately comes out as an entire assembly and is available from a Ford dealership.

Just take the interior panel off the passenger door and compare all the connections. They are the same as driver side. That way you can tell whether something is disconnected or broke.

Latches and door handles can be purchased from junk yard much cheaper than dealership if you need them.

Back