• Register Today It's free!

door open?

monkeypothrower

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Xlt
Alright today when i was at walmart, i locked my alarm (viper 791) and about 5 minutes lates while i am in the store, my pager goes off telling me that there is a door open, so i haul *** at to my car. when i get at there, i shut off the alarm and relock it. Then on the pager it tells me my door is still open. So i go around to every door and make sure they are all shut. Now i dont think it is the alarm, when i shut all the doors and sit in it, all my lamps are on like if a door was open. can anybody help me? i cant set my alarm till i figure this out. THanks -TJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmmm thats odd, as the switches are normally closed when the doors are open and that makes the ligths come on.... if all the doors are closed, the switches should not have the lights on..... sounds liek there is some otehr wiring problem somewhere....

do you have any idea where i should start looking and trace back? Thanks -TJ

it sounds liek the alarm shorted somewhere, as most install places just splice wires.....

i didnt think the alarm would have to do with my lights in the ceiling? Like i would call where i got the alarm installed, but the i dont think the alarm and the lights are related. -TJ

when installers instal an alarm, its common practice to take the easy way out and splice into lines instead of using dedicated wiring... let me guess, the alarm unit is under the steering wheel above the pedals.....

in this instance, it was probably ghetto rigged, as most installs are, especially by shops

If your interior lights are on then you most likely have a bad door pin connector. Go around to each one and push them in a bunch of times and verify they spring back and the lights go off when pushed in.

my guess would be the be wiring for the door pins

alright, so i checked the post after dinner and then i went and checked all the door pins. That didnt fix it so i ended up just screwing them all out. THe driver side pins connection was bad, so tomorrow i will go and buy a new pin and connect it. as of now it works though. THanks for all you help -TJ

Im thinking there is a short allowing the electricity to pass between the two wires causing the light top come on, or, your switch could be broken and leaving the power running through the switch all the time. Best I can say is get a continuity tester.

2 cents from an old retired electronics guy... Several of the new high end alarms don't use the inputs from the door switches, etc... They just measure a slight surge in current from the battery,,, Which is what happens when the hood - trunk - door etc is opened and a light comes on.. Check anything that may cause a power drain.
shorted wires can diffenately cause it or any electrical item malfunction.

Back