Door panel ???'s

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Naylor, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Z71, 89 stepside
After searching about 200 threads and still not finding anything useful....

Like all others from what I've read my 1st gens door panels are straight garbage. Do the 89-92 ranger front door panels interchange on the front of 1st gen X's?

I'm asking cause I have wood and zip ties on mine...old owner was a firefighter and must've been pretty creative....just not smart enough to not drink and drive..... found out in NC 2 strikes you lose your ride so now I own it.

And what is the probability of finding manual window on another 1st gen, or do I have the only one? Or do I need to convert to power windows and get it over with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm thats wierd I've owned three 1st gens and they all had power windows.

Depends on if you have a 2 door or 4 door. I think a ranger would fit a 2 door. but I would measure both before paying for it

The doors are different sizes to use a ranger door panel. The cheap cheap explorers with manual windows didn't have a very strong pull handle, not that the power window version was excellent but can hold up better. There are XL's out there that have manual windows I have seen quite a few. If you want power windows you could do it, by going to the JY and getting powered doors off of an XLT, Eddie, Limited but then you need to do some wiring to get it all to work right.

yes it's a 4 door.

My thought was if I was gonna go the PW route was to pull 4 power door panels from a junk yard to use the factory PW controls and buy the aftermarket PW kit. $170 for the kit from LMC I think.

If my doors were crashed I could see getting the whole door assemblies, but their not.

I haven't seen too many 4 door XL's most I've seen around here are EB or limited models.

I have a Explorer I will trade you everything needed for power doors including the doors and wiring and everything for you manual doors. Been looking for a set of manual doors for mine. I am in Charlotte, NC if you have your explorer down here in NC.

The doors are different sizes to use a ranger door panel. The cheap cheap explorers with manual windows didn't have a very strong pull handle, not that the power window version was excellent but can hold up better. There are XL's out there that have manual windows I have seen quite a few. If you want power windows you could do it, by going to the JY and getting powered doors off of an XLT, Eddie, Limited but then you need to do some wiring to get it all to work right.

I've seen plenty of XLTs and EBs with the pull handle broken too.... they all use the same materials....

Anyways, the best fix is, take your door panel off and you can see the little tabs where the piece for the pull handle is inserted into. Take a small drill bit and drill out those tabs. Then you can buy replacement inserts for what.... $15 or $20? Anyways, stick those where the old one went and take a soldering iron to melt the new tabs flush with the old door panel.

Heys guys hate to change subject but closest thread I could find. Factory Speaker sizes? I have a 93 ex sport 2 door with the premium sound package says like 6 speakers an amp and a small sub?(owners manual) looking to replace them all, but its winter and colder than hell down here in ky. And where r the amp and lil sub located? Any info or opinions much appreciated.

Speakers are 6x8 and the sub will be in the little compartment in the very back of the hatch area on the passenger side. If its just got a cubby hole back there then it doesnt have a sub.

Cool, cool. Any ideas about location of the factory amp?

factory amp is in the back behind a panel on the passenger side approximately 1.5 feet behind the rear seats

Back