• Register Today It's free!

Door sag?

goobenet

Reaction score
City, State
Waite Park, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
HI all. Well, now that i've got the X running moderately smooth (have a vibration at 40mph), but i'm onto cosmetic for now. My driver side door "sags". Like the pin is bent in the hinge, or a bushing is gone? How hard is it to replace the bushings/pins in the doors? Do i have to take the entire hinge apart, or just take the door off? (would probably use an engine jack)

Thanks! :)

THere is a replacement pin kit at most parts store in the 'Help' Section, I don't remember if it is the ford pickup kit or teh mustang kit. You don't have to remove the hinge or door, just support it when you tak ethe pin out. (usually reguires grinding!)
Search around, somewhere there is a step by step. It took me about 45 min to do one door, and about 1/2 hour for the other. Makes you feel good when it's done because you can see real results!
Scott

I JUST re-did mine last week. When I went to the part store, they didn't have a listing for the X's hinge pin. But on the shelf there was only 2 pins for Fords. One had a cotter pin set-up. The other didn't. I took the NON-Cotter pin set-up and it worked PERFECTLY. I ended up doing BOTH the upper, and lower pins to get it right.

Here are a couple tips:

Use a rotary/dremel tool with a flexshaft attachment. It's MUCH easier to get the THIN flex shaft body in the jamb than it is the LARGE body of the tool. Use the thin 'breakable' cut off wheels and make a bunch of small cuts in the bottom of the pin (on the 'pressed' flange). On the top pin, use a #2 phillips screwdriver and push it up about 1/2 way out, cut the pin in half, and push the now cut pin BACK down and it will fall away.

Ryan

Back