door seals coming loose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

door seals coming loose

jgauthier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007
Long story short.. I noticed all my door seals are coming loose on the inside of the vehicle. The doors themselves seem okay, but I can't be 100% certain.

Anyway, there are obvious gaps on the rear doors. I can put my fingers through them. If I push the seal, it shifts and creates a gap on the other side. I'm not sure if the seals have shrunk, or if they are stretched into place.

Anyway, I'm looking for a way to fix this, since water and moisture keep getting in my vehicle.

I'd appreciate any insight!

i had to apply some contact glue and press them back in..... the glue will let loose and you do it again next year
when you put them back in remove the sill plate at the bottom and remove the whole seal and start the reinstall from the top and work around the sides and end at the bottom so you dont make it too tight or it will just keep falling off

The correct thing to use is weatherstrip adhesive. It should keep them in place permanently.

Thank you! I didn't realize how easy this was. I removed the plates on the floor with large screw driver. They just popped loose. I then pull the weather stripping away around the frame, but only partially (just below the top of the doors). I used a $6 weatherstrip adhesive I got at a local car place, and lined it. I placed it back in, and put the plate back. I held it firmly in place for a little while (30-60s) . I repeated this on all 4 sides.
I also discovered a boot had loosened up at the back gate where there wires for the wiper go. I used some of this adhesive and pulled the boot back into place.

I think this should work great, and I appreciate the advice.

Back