Door tag decoding on my 96 Ranger. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door tag decoding on my 96 Ranger.

96rangered

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ranger XL
I have a 96 ranger that i am having transmission problems with its a 5 speed but i am learning that there is more then one type of 5 speeds they put in this truck it has a 2.3 liter 4 cyl motor in it with a door code letter M for the transmission does that mean I have a M50D-R1 transmission in my truck. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

All 96 manual trans Rangers came with a version of the M5OD-R1. There are three different transmission cases to match the bolt patterns of the three engine options. So, if you need a replacement for your 2.3 truck, you cannot substitute either of the complete V6 transmissions.

All of the guts from any of the three 96 M5OD-R1's will swap directly into any of the other cases. However, the 4.0L uses a different set of gear ratios compared to the 2.3 and 3.0, so you can't mix all of the internals from the two different gear sets.

Back