Door unlock feature - can it be changed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door unlock feature - can it be changed?

thereisnospoon

Reaction score
Can the unlock configuration in the explorer be changed? We have an 05 explorer XLT.

My wife likes the fact that one push of the FOB only unlocks the driver door, with two pushes unlocking ALL the doors.

BUT - she's less than happy about the way the doors unlock whenever the car is turned off. The driver and passenger doors unlock, but the two rear doors do not and you have to push the unlock button in order for them to be able to get out. Can it be changed so that ALL doors will unlock when the car is turned off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not that the front doors unlock per se, they just allow you to open them while locked. If you were to be outside the vehicle all 4 doors would be locked after you turn the vehicle off after driving.

So no, there is no automatic feature to unlock doors when done driving. The closest thing would be to disable the auto-lock feature that kicks in when you start driving.

Jason

I hated this too. I got a Clifford Remote Start installed. When you shut the truck off it unlocks the doors. Handy when the munchkin and I running around.

I don't like it either. I thought it was just the chiild safety feature switch, I unlocked them and nothing changed. I guess they won't let you open the doors from the inside even if they are unlocked?

On the '05s, it will unlock all the doors when you turn the key off and open the driver's door. IIRC, there was a procedure for deactivating that in teh owner's manual... Let me do some digging... I know on our '05 Mountaineer (pool car) all four unlock....

Can't seem to find anything in the Explorer manual for the auto-unlock feature at all... I wonder if the child locks being enabled prevents them from unlocking with the auto unlock feature?

Weird... can't seem to find anything in the Mounty manual either... I thought I saw something, but I may be mistaken....

-Joe

gijoecam said:
On the '05s, it will unlock all the doors when you turn the key off and open the driver's door. IIRC, there was a procedure for deactivating that in teh owner's manual... Let me do some digging... I know on our '05 Mountaineer (pool car) all four unlock....

Can't seem to find anything in the Explorer manual for the auto-unlock feature at all... I wonder if the child locks being enabled prevents them from unlocking with the auto unlock feature?

Weird... can't seem to find anything in the Mounty manual either... I thought I saw something, but I may be mistaken....

-Joe
I bet your 98 has the feature.

Nope. I have an auto-lock feature, but no auto-unlock feature, and even if I did, I only have two doors to open anyways. :)

gijoecam said:
Nope. I have an auto-lock feature, but no auto-unlock feature, and even if I did, I only have two doors to open anyways. :)
If I remember right my 98 Mounty had the feature. Not positive.

I have done some research on the issue but the wife has been away with the Explorer and I haven't been able to research it.

Whenever I open up the driver side door, the two back doors DO NOT open/unlock automatically. This is a pain in the booty whenever we have my parents (or worse...the inlaws...) to visit.

Supposedly you can take your key fob with the doors locked and hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time. Do that for a few seconds and it will not only cause all the doors to unlock whenever the truck is turned off, BUT it has the "side effect" of causing all the doors to unlock with only one push of the unlock button on the key fob. I don't like this because it IS the wife's vehicle, and she says that she feels much safer only having the driver side door unlock whenever she pushes the unlock button once.

I was able to find out that the above does work on my car (06 Fusion), but I was hoping for more variability with the Explorer. I've already found out that the Explorer has Eleventy-Billion more options on the XLT model that my SEL V6 does not have. Hopefully some other lock/unlock configs are available.

If anyone experiments with this and finds some good information (even if by mistake), please post!

Where can I find these Eleventy-Billion options?

I too hate the rear door situation.

Back