Door whacked, I'm bummed, need ideas... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door whacked, I'm bummed, need ideas...

ACBlessing

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, WA (eastern Washington state)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello again all,

Well some piss-ant in a ricer (probably) parked too close and whacked my door precisely between the step rail and the plastic molding midway up the door...just had to be that spot.

Well now there's a noticeable ding and I'm pissed and bummed. I don't want to go to a body shop as it is expensive and I'll probably get dinged again anyway.

I wanted to ask everyone if you know of plastic door trim (like on the 2002 Mountaineer) that I could mount there. I know the 2002 MM is different so that won't work.

Is there any aftermarket moulding OR does the Eddie Bauer have such panels that covers from mid door down to bottom? Or please tell me how to hide the body of the ***** who did this. I would appreciate any and all help. Thank you in advance.

-AC :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know of anything that you could cover it with. but is it down to the metal? if so, you should put on a little touch up paint to prevent rust. if you just cover it, the rust will still form. just trying to help. i knew someone who put a bra on his car to cover some chips and scratches. eventually lots of rust formed and ate holes in the metal. when he sold it, he didnt get as much as he wanted because of the rust.

is it a ding? or a dent with a crease?

if its a typical car door/shopping cart ding and you DON'T have a crease get some dry ice and hold it up against the afflicted area (use a thick towel, gloves, etc. to protect yourself)

some large, but gentle dents will even pop themselves out if you roll up all the windows and slam a door! the little bit of extra air pressure can pop them out. this used to work on the roof of my old Dodge D-50.... but it was a POS anyway, covered in dents from bumper-to-bumper after 250,000 miles of service as a delivery vehicle.. and for a $400 truck the dents were acceptable.

Thanks guys,

Well, the ding is a 4-inch vertical crease where the door metal curves down. It's not big enough to dry-ice it out and not small enough to let go. :(

I'm just hoping at this point that there's an Eddie Bauer trim panel that would go over it. I just don't know if the EBs have those panels for sure, can't remember. It seems to me they had something down there but I wanted to find out from any EB owners on the board.

-AC

get those hecka cool rocker panel covers

20005.jpg

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/catalog.html?2001

ouch! how 'bout some Herculiner! lotsa people seem to like it, but some take the emotional attachment to a "higher" level :)

Thanks James! That's kinda what I'm looking for, same idea at least. By the way, when I clicked that catalog link, it showed me door sil plastic, not the chrome panels on the doors....am I doing something wrong?

And as for the Herculiner, hmm would look cool if it could be painted over. Lol.

-AC

no... it is one that same page... it is the next item down if you scroll down....

Ooops, doh, I'm just dupit... :)

I see them now, thanks a lot. :) Has anyone seen plastic ones?

-AC

you could herculine them... that would hide the dent

I know I'm being dense...I've heard of Herculiner but don't know much about it since my X is more street than offroad. Is this bedliner stuff? Can it be painted?

-AC

Originally posted by ACBlessing
Is this bedliner stuff? Can it be painted?

-AC

yup.. that is exactly what it is.....very durable and then it would never get dinged again by some rice burner or cart or kid or ......

Herculiner can be painted, but I just left mine black. Blends right in with the black trim line, looks great on a maroon Explorer. Might not look so good on the tan Eddie Bauer color scheme. Definitely think about it, it is good stuff.

Thank you guys, it just may look pretty good on a street X. I guess if I have to paint it, since Herc is rough, what would be the best way to do it myself? I'm just thinking I don't need a paint shop, clear coating, etc.

-AC

If your going to use Herculiner, make sure to cover your self up. We wouldn't want another Hootus incident!!!!

J/K
Sorry guys I couldn't resist

JC Whitney has big wide moulding in their print catalog.
Go there online and you will be there all night.

Herculiner is available in black, red and gray. and some of the other comercial spray-on liners are available in colors... one company even has a product that glows in the dark, or under blacklight.

there are enough color options available that i wouldn't try to paint it and some of the products seem very slick, so paint might not stick well.

Originally posted by fixer
one company even has a product that glows in the dark, or under blacklight.

that would look really cool on BMXBOY's explorer, he has more neon on his explorer than all of Las Vegas ;)

Originally posted by leenjen

that would look really cool on BMXBOY's explorer, he has more neon on his explorer than all of Las Vegas ;)

well, i've seen the pix of his X... its a lot of neon, but i there's more neon than that within just a few blocks of me... nevermind the strip... midnight looks just like noon on Freemont street.... but ahhh, you are ALMOST right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back