• Register Today It's free!

Doors

elmobuzz

Reaction score
City, State
Tunkhannock, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer LTD
I have to replace the front drivers and drives rear and back hatch doors on my 2000 Ford Explorer Ltd…
I had someone try to fix it for me … and he used ‘99 doors and they don’t match the wire harness - which takes away my power locks and windows and speakers plus alarm system.

Will the doors from a 2000 Explorer Xlt work?? Or a 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition work??
** meaning, will the harness match up and I’ll be able to use my windows and locks and speakers and alarm?? ***

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the doors match, I’d compare the two’s wiring diagrams and alter the wiring. If they were optioned the same I’d assume any of the three models doors would work.

Ditto, the original wires will work in any 95-01 Explorer 4dr doors. You can make the other wiring work if they are fairly close in features. But if there are big differences, swapping the door harnesses is the easiest way.

I reconstructed my 99 Explorer Limited, using my entire 93's rear body(doors etc). I had to modify the old LF door to accept the later 95-01 door harness, but I installed all of the 99 door wiring into my older doors.

It takes some time and is tedious to R&R the door wiring harness, but it's not that bad.

Here's one of the rear wiring harnesses from my 99 Limited. As you can see, the rear door wiring is fairly simple, anyone can swap that out in a short time. The left front is the only one which will be much more complex and take extra time to fish it all out, and the new one in.

Projectthread079.JPG

Ditto, the original wires will work in any 95-01 Explorer 4dr doors. You can make the other wiring work if they are fairly close in features. But if there are big differences, swapping the door harnesses is the easiest way.

I reconstructed my 99 Explorer Limited, using my entire 93's rear body(doors etc). I had to modify the old LF door to accept the later 95-01 door harness, but I installed all of the 99 door wiring into my older doors.

It takes some time and is tedious to R&R the door wiring harness, but it's not that bad.

Here's one of the rear wiring harnesses from my 99 Limited. As you can see, the rear door wiring is fairly simple, anyone can swap that out in a short time. The left front is the only one which will be much more complex and take extra time to fish it all out, and the new one in.

View attachment 332926
Did the 93 have the plastic hinge?

No, but that was the biggest change I had to make, to cut out that odd sized hole in the door. I also made a hole for the keyless entry pad, a hole for the door panel to hook onto, and the door handles needed slightly larger holes for the hinges to go through.

Projectthread053.JPG

Why not remove the wiring from the original doors and install in the donor doors?
Don’t have the original 2000 doors. (I bought it used and the guy said he thought it was a fuse that went bad…. Which I learned fast was not the case.)

Don’t have the original 2000 doors. (I bought it used and the guy said he thought it was a fuse that went bad…. Which I learned fast was not the case.)

Okay, then you will need the door harnesses for those two left doors, and see what's going on with the rear hatch.

You can use any left rear door wiring harness from a 1995-2001 I think, one with power windows. The 95-97's have different window regulators, but I don't think it affects the wiring at all.

The left front door you'd like to get from a 95-2001 Limited, because that's the only one with the memory seat switch and wiring. You could make use of the normal LF wires from a power window model, and add the memory seat wires later when you find those. That feature has the six wires going to it, as a small group apart from the rest of the door harness.

The hatch wiring harness you may be able to fix what you have, depending on which hatch they installed. The 1998-2001 hatches all swap and use the same harness except for the odd ones with no rear wiper. The 95-97 has a different harness also, those have the odd rear brake light and a different type of wiper motor.

Back