Dopler174

Official Welcome Committe
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4X4
I was thinking about cutting the top of my truck. For a roof I was going to bend some pipe (Electrical coping) and try to find a canvas and a clear window. Any suggestions? Is this a bad idea?
It would look like this, only with doors and a top.
ADD1C_jellooldrig.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe I found the answer I'm looking for. I'm going to look at tents from the Army/Navy store here in town. Get one of those and cut it to fit. Then get some buttons to make the top work. For a skeleton, I'm going to bend some coping to fit from corner to corner. But instead of keeping the shape, I'm going to angle it down like the old H1's. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do about a back window...

There's a bronco running around up here with a slantback canvas top. He has a piece of clear vinyl. They sell it in alot of places, probably even a fabric store. you can sew it in or have a canvas awning shop sew it in for you and they'll have the ability to double stitch it and may even be able to cut it on a good radius (for curved corners).

You might be able to find a cheap clear shower curtain at wal mart--??

lol! Smart a$$. This IS going to happen. I'm trying to decide where I want to cut it. I was thinking about leaving most of the roof and doing the slanted back window, but then I seen one where the whole roof skin was removed and also cut the way I like. So I may end up doing that. I am leaving the window frames on the doors and the sides of the truck to help seal the door off. I think I'm going to cut in small portions and cut a boat/car cover just cover it up for the parked time. I'm going to call around and see about the clear plastic like is on a Heep. I almost had a friend give me his soft top from is 78 bronco.

You know, on second thought...a thick shower curtain might would work for a small time period...

You need to check out Msupertek. he has a real nice top on his.
PIC00034.jpg

deff. post pics as it comes along. im interested in how it goes!

lol! Smart a$$. This IS going to happen. I'm trying to decide where I want to cut it. I was thinking about leaving most of the roof and doing the slanted back window, but then I seen one where the whole roof skin was removed and also cut the way I like. So I may end up doing that. I am leaving the window frames on the doors and the sides of the truck to help seal the door off. I think I'm going to cut in small portions and cut a boat/car cover just cover it up for the parked time. I'm going to call around and see about the clear plastic like is on a Heep. I almost had a friend give me his soft top from is 78 bronco.

You know, on second thought...a thick shower curtain might would work for a small time period...

I was being serious--it would be a source for the clear vinyl ???

I was thinking about a 2-door rodeo top. But I think it would be to short in the windows. I just priced boat covers at Wally-World, they are cheap enough. Anybody want to buy some windows to help fund this mutilation of mine?

get to cuttin... i want to see that thing topless

I was being serious--it would be a source for the clear vinyl ???

At first I thought of the $6 one...They are crappy!!!!!!! then I thought of the $17 ones. Much nicer. If I get two of those, I should be able to double stitch it onto a boat top and roll.

I haven't been to the Army/Navy store yet to price tents or whatever may work. I did check out Wal*Mart for boat covers and shower curtains. I think a car cover would be to thin and soft, where as a boat cover would be a little more weather proof. For a three seater jet ski, they are about $30. I'm headed to the army/navy store to check them out next.

don get a tent, get a surplus canvas tarp.

Mine was 50 shipped and its enough for a top and doors with plenty of leftover.

http://www.tarps.com/canvas.htm

I got a 10x12 OD green tarp.

The Mickey one is hot.:thumbsup: I would rock the heck out of that...No joke.:cool:

The tarp is more the direction I was going towards, I just remember as a kid camping in my uncle's tent, and it was a green canvas army tent. I can hardly wait to cut this Bea-Bea!

Lets do it together! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:::Sigh::::rolleyes:
I think I'm going to skip the back "Glass". I might be able to to re-mount the back glass on the roof...But it sounds like to much work. I think I'll just make it solid.

Back