• Register Today It's free!

Dora the 5.4 swapped Explorer vid

LSXkilr

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
So after all the AWD launches, beating on it, the 130,000 mile stock trans finally started to go out. Does that stop me from beating on it?- No

Dora the Explorer (5.4 SOHC swap w/ stage 2 JLP heads and cams, AED supercharged 10psi)

Here is a SOFT 3rd gear launch. That's right, NO 1st or 2nd. So starting from a stop in 3rd! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on5L0odRzqA&feature=youtu.be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

She really moves out! You'd beat me even if I started in first! Have you gotten it to the track to see what it runs?

No, not yet. Going to build the trans next.

Are you going to build the existing or swap to something else? When I had mine rebuilt a few years ago, I asked them to build it up but nothing was out there worth doing. Curious if that's changed since then.

Damn I miss seeing that with my ex. It's been sitting since I threw a rod in September. Now I have to go buy a 5.4... Ugh lol

Dude... I'm pretty sure you're in the low 14's 1/4 mile time (or better) while you're missing the first two gears. Looking at the video you hit 100 right before the 13 second mark... but you had 2-4 tenths of a second delay at the beginning of the video so you likely hit a hundred at 12.5 to 12.7 seconds. That's comparable to 2008 Pontiac G8 GT according to one source I found...

http://www.autosnout.com/Cars-0-100mph-Times-List.php

That same Pontiac which ran 1/4 in 13.8. I'm giving the boxy explorer a little bit of a handicap for poor aerodynamics (it peters out past 100), but still dude you're missing the first 2 gears and your probably looking at 14s 1/4 mile time. Keeping beating her, apparently she likes it.

I put a car length or two on a Cam'd bolt on AWD TBSS from a Dig (with me starting in 3rd) a couple weeks ago.
He then tried to tell me he "thought" he could do better from a roll........

.....He didn't, it was worse. lol

I put a car length or two on a Cam'd bolt on AWD TBSS from a Dig (with me starting in 3rd) a couple weeks ago.
He then tried to tell me he "thought" he could do better from a roll........

.....He didn't, it was worse. lol

I figure an AWD TBSS with cam/supporting mods and this recent cool weather would be an easy bottom 13 second ride and possibly upper 12's. Are you sure you didn't beat the driver and not the car?

Yes, we raced 3 times.

Also, my buddies Cam'd Bolt on Silverado SS on a 250 shot puts a car on me from a dig. He loses to me by 2-3 cars from a 30-40 roll.

Yes, we raced 3 times.

Also, my buddies Cam'd Bolt on Silverado SS on a 250 shot puts a car on me from a dig. He loses to me by 2-3 cars from a 30-40 roll.

I've been replaying your acceleration vid against mine and with you starting in 3rd, it's a somewhat close run (with you pulling ahead from the start) until 60 mph and then you just take off after that.

I'm really looking forward to when you get the transmission fixed and take it to the track. If you're beating a cam'd TBSS and a 250 shot Silverado SS starting in 3rd gear, then you are without a doubt one of the top 3 fastest Explorers on the forum. Currently, I think you are the fastest since the other two I know of are no longer around (Troll and Mounty03) and I haven't heard anything new from Rocket5979. If I still have my Explorer in the Spring and don't buy a toy, I'd really like to meet up for some runs.

Here's when I still had 1st and 2nd. I was sorting out an etc issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pSpc5NZWKM&list=UUR4279tTVQ_OqTfgWP8HvAg

Believe it or not, I had problems with transferring too much energy and would pull tire!

All the added weight in the front (5.4 iron block, roots blower, inter cooler) caused the front to lower some. -So it essentially acted like it had "trick springs" having all that stored up energy. I limit strapped the front, which would then cause the "hopping" you see in the vid. So after this vid I lowered the rear slightly to increase the rear spring rate.

Here's when I still had 1st and 2nd. I was sorting out an etc issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pSpc5NZWKM&list=UUR4279tTVQ_OqTfgWP8HvAg

Believe it or not, I had problems with transferring too much energy and would pull tire!

All the added weight in the front (5.4 iron block, roots blower, inter cooler) caused the front to lower some. -So it essentially acted like it had "trick springs" having all that stored up energy. I limit strapped the front, which would then cause the "hopping" you see in the vid. So after this vid I lowered the rear slightly to increase the rear spring rate.

The video is private, so I can't watch it :( Be safe out and hopefully I can go for a ride after you get it fixed.

It'll be interesting to see how it runs with the new transmission. Great job keeping up with that TBSS!!! Do you plan on going to Heartland Park at all?

At some point. I'd like to get out there.

I finally polished off the rest of the trans. I cranked it up (put some race gas in it) and raced my buddies SS again from a dig, and I beat him by a car or two.
He was on a 275 shot, and after the race Dora's 3rd gear now slips bad LOL.

anyway, here is his SS fb page. There are some cool vids in there as well.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Subzero-SS/419697964855187

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back