Dora the 5.4 swapped Explorer vid | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dora the 5.4 swapped Explorer vid

Are you just going to rebuild the stock trans? How about upgrading the torque converter?

I've tried finding the power curve on the 5.4 but can't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you just going to rebuild the stock trans? How about upgrading the torque converter?

I've tried finding the power curve on the 5.4 but can't.

If I had to guess, a 5.4 with heads/cams and 10psi of boost is a 425+hp and 500+ tq motor. Add a 75hp shot on top of that he should be seeing close to 500hp at the wheels. This is just from what I've seen of Ford Lightnings with similar mods.

I'd like to see you toss it on your dyno and get a few numbers. I plan to make a trip out to see where I stand with my recent swap to a 93 tune and I just picked up a Trickflow 70mm throttle body/plenum that I will put on this weekend.

Edit - And for fun, we'll get a short run in as long as you start in 5th :)

Very nice. Is there a diy for this 5.4 swap that I haven't seen. It sounds interesting.

Explorer

Pictures of time slips when the transmission is done would be nice. Also post your Dyno graph when you get it back together.
Nice work so far!

This is my first ford, so excuse my ignorance.
What model/yr did the 5.4 come out of. And could our 4.6 handle a sc?

The original 5.4 swap started out of a expedition. Now it has a built shortblock, ported heads, and JLP stage 2 cams.

The trans should be done this week!
11021107_385623041616039_5292251311365557195_n.jpg

Also, working on Dora's new blower setup. Which is a modified M122 setup. (GT500 blower)
On the right is the old blower, which was a ported M90.
10437620_1557468551202111_1844834033905737767_n.jpg

Remeber you can keep up with the Dora updates on the FB page:
www.facebook.com/FordExplorerDORA

I'm really excited to see how the 5R55 trans holds up because as mentioned before, I haven't seen many have luck.

Excited to see how the M122 motivates this thing! The M90 is way to small for that 5.4! If this combo holds, you are without question going to own the #1 power adder spot!!!

This is my first ford, so excuse my ignorance.
What model/yr did the 5.4 come out of. And could our 4.6 handle a sc?

The 4.6 should be good to about 400hp before you need to really worry. Myself, I'm wanting to put down about 300-325hp at the wheels and I'll be a happy camper. Currently putting down 216hp and it's okay, but another 100hp would be awesome!

My thought on the trans not holding up is due to the stock torque converters stall speed and the power curve of the 5.4 not matching up. I've yet to work with some torque converter shops on this.

The good thing is that since this trans was used in a mustang, you should be able to find some off the shelf converters.

I was under the impression that all the 5.4 mustangs were manuals. Did some run with the 5r55?

That certainly would help.

I just bought an m122 for my explorer! I am trying to figure out the best way to mount it with the heat exchanger and intake. I would like to keep the alternator in the stock location. I have a 32v 4.6 so I COULD just buy terminator parts, but I don't like that. I really like your under the intake setup. I was considering mounting it upside down on top of my current intake. I Would like to get some of your input on the idea, if you don't mind. I can pm you my email address if you are willing to share some knowledge.

Sorry, I didn't see your post before I wrote my last post. Yes, all of the gt500 were manual, I was talking about 4.6l 3v GT Mustangs. 2005-09 or 10 had 5r55 in them. They will bolt up to a 5.4. Www.transmissioncenter.net

Looks like the 2002-2008 Explorers w/4.0 and 4.6 and the 2001-2008 Mustangs (3.9, 4.0 and 4.6) all came with the same torque converters.

Basically the same yes. But you will have to use a v8 version converter with 8 studs. The v6 version only has 4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back