Dorman Cam Snychronizer Gear

Mikeri

Reaction score
City, State
Natchez, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer AWD
Dorman cam synchronizer

I am about to swap out my cam synchronizer and the Dorman part has arrived. It came with an adjustment tool and cam sensor. I ordered it from Rock Auto. I noticed on my current cam synch that the contacting semi circular piece disintegrated. The new Dorman piece has a connector that is a thinnish piece, maybe 1/4 inch in width. Looks cheap compared to the semi circular piece. (There is a pic here somewhere.) Anybody have any experience with this Dorman product? Cost was $45 shipped. The dealorship wanted $200 for the cam syn and adjustment tool. Money was an issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am about to swap out my cam synchronizer and the Dorman part has arrived. It came with an adjustment tool and cam sensor. I ordered it from Rock Auto. I noticed on my current cam synch that the contacting semi circular piece disintegrated. The new Dorman piece has a connector that is a thinnish piece, maybe 1/4 inch in width. Looks cheap compared to the semi circular piece. (There is a pic here somewhere.) Anybody have any experience with this Dorman product? Cost was $45 shipped. The dealorship wanted $200 for the cam syn and adjustment tool. Money was an issue.
Can you post a picture to photobucket and then post up a link?

Highlight and describe the area you are talking about--

98 Mountaineer, 5.0 AWD, 81k Miles. The Stator on the Cam Sny Gear crumbled, so I have just received the Dorman part. It came with a CPS and Installation Part. Bought it from Rock Auto. The CPS has only 2 prongs; whereas the factory part has 3, so I won't be using the Dorman CPS. The stator on the Dorman part is thin. I think the 98 stator is a semi circle. But since the one in the engine is cutoff, I cannot tell. Am I going to have problems with this Dorman Part? I did not want to buy a rebuilt part. Dorman is Chinese Factory fresh. Will this gear fit into a 98? Was there a change in design on the CPS to 2 prongs. Any info will help.

Finally got this answered by Dorman tech rep. Was sent wrong part by Rock Auto. Hence all the confusion. Rock paid for the return postage and will send proper part. The part number is stamp on the metal ring just above the O ring. I needed a 103 and was sent a 107.

Answered by Dorman Tech Rep. Rock auto sent wrong part. The part number is stamped ont he metal ring just above th O ring. I needed a 103 and Rock sent a 107. Rock paying for return postage and will send proper part. Hence the confusion.

Sorry threads merged.

Back