• Register Today It's free!

Dorman Shackle Bushings Q

Ryan87LX

Reaction score
City, State
Regina, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I'm surprised I can't find this info here, but perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing.

My rear spring shackles rusted away, and I'm replacing them with the Dorman kit that comes with new bushings.

I had to remove my stock frame bushings because the bolt had rusted to the metal sleeve. To remove the bushings I simply burnt them out, leaving the metal outer sleeve in the frame.

The Dorman bushings have a metal sleeve, but they appear like they will just fit inside the original sleeve - in fact they do with a slight tap of a hammer.

That being said, I'm not sure if this is the correct way to install them or not! If it is, should I be putting grease or anti-seize on the bushing? Or perhaps locktite?

Any help is appreciated.

This is for a 1997 5.0 XLT, if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The shackle is suppose to be able to rotate slightly when leafs are moving.

Is your kit looking like this:
mlM1fKhZI_xi6e0JHNmDaUA.jpg

2009-10-10_221256_95_explorer_rear_shackle.jpg

I got in touch with Dorman today, and they told me that the bushings are both for the leaf springs, and that they do not make a frame bushing.

I ordered the Energy Suspension bushings today.

I got in touch with Dorman today, and they told me that the bushings are both for the leaf springs, and that they do not make a frame bushing.

I ordered the Energy Suspension bushings today.

Thats a bunch of crap. Kit comes with both frame and spring bushings. I didn't need the frame bushings and gave them to a local forum member.

Bill

they come with one leaf bushing, and a sleeve that fits inside the frame bushing. it doesnt come with a frame bushing. if you ever need to order one, and want to get one from ford, the part number is F57Z 5A546 AA otherwise they will more then likely tell you that you need to order a frame :rolleyes:

they come with one leaf bushing, and a sleeve that fits inside the frame bushing. it doesnt come with a frame bushing. if you ever need to order one, and want to get one from ford, the part number is F57Z 5A546 AA otherwise they will more then likely tell you that you need to order a frame :rolleyes:

LOL, Parts departments are great, told me I needed to buy a whole steering column, and rack to replace the intermediate shaft.... looked up the part number for them and they magically found out that it is discontinued.

Well, after receiving and installing the Energy Suspension Bushings, I'm glad that I didn't put the Dorman one in.

I'm inclined to agree with the Dorman rep that those bushings are for the leaf springs only. The Energy Suspension bushings have a stepped diameter to correctly fill the sleeve left in the frame after the stock bushings were burned out. The Dorman 'bushing' would only fit properly in one tiny piece of the sleeve. It may well work, but I don't think it's ideal when I look at it closely.

FWIW, I used the ES 4-2124G kit, and I ONLY installed the frame bushing. A worthwhile job that was pretty simple with a MAPP torch to burn out the original bushings.

Problem solved, and vehicle back on the road.

Back