• Register Today It's free!

Double Din install...

orhuntnfish

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all,
I have a 94 Ex that has a single din opening and I have a double din NAV/DVD unit to install. Has any one done this? Any pointers? I have a couple of options. Most of them involve moving the environmental controls. I can install it just by cutting the hole bigger, but there is nothing to support the stereo. The unit is a Kenwood DNX7100 that I took out of my old Durango.

Option 1: Move the envronmental controls to the old single din spot, then work on install the where the controls were and use up some ash tray space. I think this is the easiest.

Option 2: Move the controls down to the ash tray area and install the unit above. I think this might be the best option.

Option 3: Cut the single din hole bigger and try to work out a support system for it.

Option 4: Live without it. :thumbdwn:

Option 4 is not an option.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's what I started, but haven't finished. Now that I'll be driving the truck again, I'm going to finish it up.

I pulled the dash and removed the center vents by cutting them out and glassing over the opening.
IMG_0001-1.jpg

I then chopped up the front dash panel, glassed it and started the bodywork.
IMG_0004-1.jpg

You lose the center vents, but I think it's the best approach.

-steev

I then chopped up the front dash panel, glassed it and started the bodywork.

-steev

Started being the keyword in that sentence!!

And now that you moved, you cant sucker me into helping anymore.

What did you do with the 4X4 switch? I see the harness still there. I assume you will relocate it.

I wanted to keep mine as little with modified as I can. I am still thinking of just doing like you can cutting more out and movind the environmentals up and making a nice glass face, but I thought I would see how this worked out first. :)

I did get more done though. I got the GPS antenna routed, the mic for the hands free, the remote wire for the amps and the bluetooth unit adapter installed. Not much done, but a little. I also picked up 35' of speaker 16ga twisted pair speaker wire. I needed to move one of my amps over a couple of inches so that the distribution block and relay would fit next to it. Tomorrow, I tackle running the speaker wire.

What did you do with the 4X4 switch? I see the harness still there. I assume you will relocate it.

I wanted to keep mine as little with modified as I can. I am still thinking of just doing like you can cutting more out and movind the environmentals up and making a nice glass face, but I thought I would see how this worked out first. :)

Steve and I had talked about moving the HVAC controls before going this route. We decided that this way would look the best when its all done. look closely at the dash, there is a lip about a half inch below the radio hole (where the gray starts), we didnt want to try to mess with that. Also the dash is close to flat between the radio and the vent/4x4 switch, which made it alot easier.

The 4x4 switch is no longer needed, we swapped in a manual T-case years ago.

Steve and I had talked about moving the HVAC controls before going this route. We decided that this way would look the best when its all done. look closely at the dash, there is a lip about a half inch below the radio hole (where the gray starts), we didnt want to try to mess with that. Also the dash is close to flat between the radio and the vent/4x4 switch, which made it alot easier.

The 4x4 switch is no longer needed, we swapped in a manual T-case years ago.

Yeah...what he said!

-steev

I wanna put in a manual T-Case. Then I don't have to rely on the motor to swap for me. Well the status of this project is I have all the wiring done, but the weather here put a damper on my ability to get more work done. I was thinking of doing the hurculiner thing before putting the sub and amp. That will probably help out a lot. with the all the road and exhause noise and help to seal up that area or the truck better.

Well I got the amps and sub mounted and hooked up the door speakers to the amp. The box is mounted and everything. Today I install the deck and see if I hear something. :exp:

So got everything in. I don't like the mounting of the deck. The back of the deck hits the vent so it is pushed down some causing the face to kind of point up. It isn't real clean like I hoped. It looks like I will be going the route you went after all. Not something I wanted to do, but it looks to be the best option. I was wondering, what did you use to cut out the vent?

Mark

Guys I need real help I installed a Kenwood DNX7100 in my 03 Explorer W/premium sound and there is three things I need desperate help with.

1st The 12v to 5v inverter I have has three wires Black, Blue and White, and a Blue and Red. What do I hook those wires to on the head unit and the plug with the two RCA jacks on it? I have them going to Black-Ground, Blue/White-Blue/White in plug W/RCA jacks and from head, Blue/Red-Ext.Amp.Cont

2nd When I turn the car off then back on the display, displays the Call screen instead of turning to Ipod because that's what the unit was playing when the unit was turned off. I have the Bluetooth module and hooked the brown wire to the Black ground on the wiring harness. But I don't think that's what is causing that and the unit remembers all the sound changes I've made.

3rd my ash lights are no longer working/ I wouldn't thing that anything at the two plugs for the stereo would cause that.

Back