Double Din Installation Bracket/Adapter for 2001 Ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Double Din Installation Bracket/Adapter for 2001 Ex

Cranmaro99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer 5.0 AWD
I can't seem to find it on search, but I bought a double din DVD head unit for my 2001 explorer. I know they can be installed, but a bracket or adapter for installation is needed (along with some trimming...)

But I heard there is one brand that makes a good adapter and there are a lot of flimsy and cheap ones out there, and a cannot remember the good one to get, or the correct one to get... I THINK the good one was made by Metra???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look for the metra 95-5600 dsh kit

That kit will work for Double Din's from 95-01?

After putting in what type of vehicle I have on their website, Metras site said this would fit my car:

http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-5817

I just hope that's accurate...?

Or are there better dash kits out there that are made by a company other than Metra?

Sounds good, getting ready to get a Pioneer Double Din.

difference between the 2 is that one you still see the edges on the top and bottom of the factory opening. and the one that i posted it covers them up.

Same here! Well I have it, I just need to install it ;)

Pioneer FTW!! Which model do you have? I'm thinking of getting the AVH-P3300BT.

difference between the 2 is that one you still see the edges on the top and bottom of the factory opening. and the one that i posted it covers them up.

I've heard the other one fits better, and that the bezel that comes with the aftermarket HU will cover any gap anyways, and that there is only a gap on the Explorers on the sides (as the up and down fit is so tight that it needs to be cut... So there won't be a gap.

Pioneer FTW!! Which model do you have? I"m thinking of getting the AVH-P3300BT.

That's the one I got! Best bang for the buck for sure.

Here is a Kenwood with the 5600 kit:

DSCF1785.jpg

Maybe someone with the other kit will chime in and we can compare.

I've heard the other one fits better, and that the bezel that comes with the aftermarket HU will cover any gap anyways, and that there is only a gap on the Explorers on the sides (as the up and down fit is so tight that it needs to be cut... So there won't be a gap.

That's the one I got! Best bang for the buck for sure.

Dude, hit me up with pics and what you like about it, how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? Best I could find was Brand new $285 shipped.

Here is a Kenwood with the 5600 kit:

DSCF1785.jpg

Maybe someone with the other kit will chime in and we can compare.

Looks good. Is that your car? I just don't get how you have to trip the stock bezel vertically when it looks like there is room of the dash kit has a 4 sided boarder... But maybe I just need to see it first hand to understand.

Dude, hit me up with pics and what you like about it, how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? Best I could find was Brand new $285 shipped.

Will do. I paid more for mine off Amazon, but I have 600 dollars worth of credits and Amazon so it was technically free for me that way...

Looks good. Is that your car? I just don't get how you have to trip the stock bezel vertically when it looks like there is room of the dash kit has a 4 sided boarder... But maybe I just need to see it first hand to understand.

Yes, thats my '95.

The part you have to trim is the small lip about 1" in from the face of the bezel. Once you remove the radio you'll get it..

You ever get the head unit installed?

Do you have the JBL premium sound in yours? If so curious to which wiring harness are you going with?

Do you have the JBL premium sound in yours? If so curious to which wiring harness are you going with?

It's not the JBL system, but it does have the premium sound. I "think" it was called the "Mach" system on my year. Either way it seemed to work, but I'm doing a totally new install with new speakers and amps all around, fully discarding the stock system and speakers. So this made it easier in that aspect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Def looking forward to pics of the new install and with how you like the P3300BT as well.

Back