• Register Today It's free!

double din

dmathews

Reaction score
City, State
Beattyville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
ok I have have been searching on here to find how hard that it is to install a double din dvd player into a 99 explorer. It is a 7" screen and I really have no clue to how hard this is going to be once it comes in, any help, pic would be great, thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put this kenwood double din into my 99 explorer. I first bought a dash kit that was supposedly going to make it fit without any cutting. But some dremelling was required to fit in properly. Looks clean though
truck3.jpg

can you install one with out putting a dash kit in and where can you find that dash kit, thanks

you need a dash kit because it will be easy to steal / could slide out without one. Just go to best buy or future shop and tell them what vehicle you have and they will sell you a dash kit. They go for around $25-$35

I seen somewhere that the metal sleave over the facotry stereos could work to make them snap in and you know where to download music vids

don't know about using factory sleeve.. download music vid's i don't know. limewire?..

can you install one with out putting a dash kit in and where can you find that dash kit, thanks

Totally off topic, but is your first name Dave? Man that would be funny.

actually my name is david and lime wire has so much spam, i can find some in torrents but not many

Naw, you just need to learn to you limewire properly. You can tell what is the actual download and what isn't by simply reading.

I download a couple and they are all really small and would look like crap on the tv probably

to off topic now im done with this thread

ok, well thanks for the help

LOL. Nice. Sorry for the disruption, please carry on

I had it in my ranger with no dash kit, i actually removed the entire bezel around the dash. i was able to mount it behind (using metal straping, similar to a "plumbers strapping"). I removed the bezel to do the install so i had more room to work with.

I personally like the look with the dash kit. If you were to leave it in there you would mold the dash kit to the factory panel, and sand it smooth and re-texture the dash and paint it black again and it would look more factory.

I put this kenwood double din into my 99 explorer. I first bought a dash kit that was supposedly going to make it fit without any cutting. But some dremelling was required to fit in properly. Looks clean though
truck3.jpg

Do you know what's the model of your dash kit?? I have the Metra 95-5600 but the stereo look like deep inside the dash. Tnx

yeah I just got my DVD player and do not have enough for the dash kit so I trimed my bezel and it fits but the screen is larger that the opening and the stereo so it sticks out, it will probably do it with the kits as well i am guessing

This is my stereo's pic

P3100DVD.jpg

Can you see the difference between the Kenwood dash kit and my kit?

Yours looks good but My screen is a 7" and I will have to take some pics tommorow to show how it doesnt fit

You need to trim the upper and lower inner lips of the dash trim/bezel for the DD kit to work.

d2.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

see that looks really good but even after i trimed the inside lips off the stereo its self is will barely fit in there but the screen is just a hair taller than the stereo and it will not fit so today i took and removed some of the plastic and still can not get it to fit in there right, it came with a thing to go around the stereo to fill in the empty spots and i got it to where it will fit in the top but the sides hit the rounded parts of the 4 wheel drive and stuff and the bottom will not touch so how. mine is a 7" screen and is a jensen uv8020 in case you want to look it up but i am about to say screw it and just bondo the thing it came with to the bezel the best i can and use it like that, its really starting to get to me. if you can help i would love that

Back