double honk disable/enable with FORscan | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

double honk disable/enable with FORscan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The beginning part of this post said not for 2017 models.

Has anyone eliminated the double honk on a 2017 explorer?

[EDIT] Please ignore my comment below. I misread the post! [Edit]

Hi Bill, the correct value should be 0000 0001 0071 (Only the first 1 needs to be changed to a 0) give that a shot and report back!

Just wanted to express my gratitude to everyone on this forum who goes out of there way to post helpful changes to assist others with the same frustrations. I have been dealing with the annoying double honk since day 1. Happens all the time when driving my son to the hockey rink and quickly dropping him off at the entrance. I quickly get out to grab his equipment and "honk honk", might as well hold a sign for everyone that reads we are here! Then if someone stops to say hi and I am not in the car before the tail gate closes there is goes again "honk honk". If I drive teammates home after practice, out I go and again "honk honk", yes neighbors it's us again! Same happens when checking the mail, cleaning snow of the vehicle or forgetting something in the house.

Beyond happy to report that I have successfully applied the new value posted above and it works like a charm on my 2016 Explorer Sport.

Just wanted to express my gratitude to everyone on this forum who goes out of there way to post helpful changes to assist others with the same frustrations. I have been dealing with the annoying double honk since day 1. Happens all the time when driving my son to the hockey rink and quickly dropping him off at the entrance. I quickly get out to grab his equipment and "honk honk", might as well hold a sign for everyone that reads we are here! Then if someone stops to say hi and I am not in the car before the tail gate closes there is goes again "honk honk". If I drive teammates home after practice, out I go and again "honk honk", yes neighbors it's us again! Same happens when checking the mail, cleaning snow of the vehicle or forgetting something in the house.

Beyond happy to report that I have successfully applied the new value posted above and it works like a charm on my 2016 Explorer Sport.

Glad we can help! This forum has been very enlightening. I actually looked at the different vehicle forums when I was choosing my next ride and this forum helped me narrow my decision down.

If only I could find a member in the Toronto area that could help me apply this mod!!

If only I could find a member in the Toronto area that could help me apply this mod!!
IMHO, I recommend you buy the obd reader, download forscan and perform these mods yourself.
It would be nice for someone to help you, but in the case something goes wrong or you need to go back to stock, before bringing in the vehicle for warranty related work etc...; you'd be stuck.

Haha, not when you have a four year old and two year old jabbering in the back seat. :p

True story. Happened a couple of weeks ago. My mother-in-law is a teacher at the christian school my 4 year old goes to preschool at. She picks him up on her way to school and (most of the time, at least) brings him home. A couple of weeks ago she was running late and forgot to get his backpack with his lunch on the way out the door. My four year old likes 'normalcy' and flipped out about not having his backpack upon arriving at school.

No biggie. Threw a coat on my 2 year old (still in jammies), put my keys in the front of the backpack and headed to town. A student met me in the parking lot, I handed off the backpack and took a quick spin around town before going home. All in all about 30 minutes from departure of backpack until pulling into our driveway. No fob the whole way home. Didn't get the 'need your key fob' message until I pulled into the driveway.

Thankfully Mrs. Squirrel leaves her fob here unless she plans on driving the Ex that day so I had hers for the return trip a few hours later. Still, never saw anything on the dash about missing the fob and didn't her any chimes, either. To say I got lucky that day is an understatement. :)

My ex was the same way. I think it would make one chime but nothing that would be noticeable. After disabling the double honk, I enabled the missing intelligent key shift lock (PI option). I didn't realize before that someone could drive off with my vehicle if I left it unlocked and running if I had the key. Now you can't take it out of park unless it detects the key. I prefer this option but its really up to the end user!

I also do not like the double honk but it did serve its purpose a couple weeks ago. I was in a bit of a rush so I parked, hit the Start/Stop button, got out and closed the door. The double honk sounded and it was only then that I noticed the vehicle was still running. These engines sometimes are just too quiet. This is the second time this has happened to me. The first was with the 2011 Limited I had. It didn't have the double honk but I noticed it was still running when I got out because it was in the garage making it easier to hear. There definitely is more chance of this happening with the push button ignition than a keyed one.

Peter

There have been people who have died because they left their car on in the garage with this feature and they were killed by carbon monoxide. Ford should just have a less obnoxious way of telling you the car is still on though. When I closed my doors on the Fusion at the airport, the double honk happened right behind an airport police officer and he looked at me funny.

Any closer to having this ability on 17s? This “feature” drives me nuts. I have to get out of the car frequently when arriving home because I park in an alley and constatntly have to jump out and move trash cans, etc, before parking. With all the houses in close proximity it’s very annoying when the horns honks so loudly twice every time I need to jump out. Especially early in the morning or late at night. Anyway, any closer on the 17s??

Any closer to having this ability on 17s? This “feature” drives me nuts. I have to get out of the car frequently when arriving home because I park in an alley and constatntly have to jump out and move trash cans, etc, before parking. With all the houses in close proximity it’s very annoying when the horns honks so loudly twice every time I need to jump out. Especially early in the morning or late at night. Anyway, any closer on the 17s??
See post #33. Also the honk issue can be easily solved by not fully closing the door like I do when I jump out to get my mail from the roadside community mailbox. You could also leave your fob in the vehicle when you get out or turn the ignition off. Don't wait for Ford to change this as they likely consider it a type of 'safety' feature.

Peter

The values on the current revision of the spreadsheet work just fine for the 2017 model year Explorers.

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0AtiYU-yJ4Nrfyfuzp-Mi0l8A#FORScan_2011-2018_Explorers

For help with FORScan, see this link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

Can confirm, 2017 with double honk disabled.

The values on the current revision of the spreadsheet work just fine for the 2017 model year Explorers.

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0AtiYU-yJ4Nrfyfuzp-Mi0l8A#FORScan_2011-2018_Explorers

For help with FORScan, see this link https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-8dKaS_Spu4Zw4hV_CrKC4tLoP9G8yejqegF1wxIqxY/edit

Got everything up and running. Saved all the original module settings. Was able to disable the double honk. Then tried to get the global windows up working with no success. And then set up Reverse Mirror Tilt. Is this not automatic? Have to press the mirror button for it to tilt? Is there a better thread to ask these questions?

Mirror tilt requires you to press the corresponding button when you're in R. It doesn't automatically tilt when you switch gears, sadly.

Thanks for the post! Got it modified in 60 seconds once I got the FORScan trial license.
Now my car doesn't yell at me when I exit the vehicle with the engine running. =]

DoubleHonkDisable.jpg

.......Now my car doesn't yell at me when I exit the vehicle with the engine running. =]
I had that happen once when I thought the vehicle had been turned OFF and it wasn't. Glad the feature was there at that time. To stop the honking I just don't fully close the door if I just have to jump out for a minute.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had that happen once when I thought the vehicle had been turned OFF and it wasn't. Glad the feature was there at that time. To stop the honking I just don't fully close the door if I just have to jump out for a minute.

Peter
That's also how I do it, Peter - I don't shut the door all the way when getting the mail or running back into the house. Sometimes though, I have the dog in the car so I need it partially latched, and even a partial "click" is enough to arm the double honk. It can definitely be embarrassing at times - like when I'm parked right in front of the doors at Circle K and need the car running for the dog. That close to a building, the HONK HONK is REALLY loud!

Back