Downgrading rims - install 2001 sport rims on 2007 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Downgrading rims - install 2001 sport rims on 2007 Eddie Bauer

I searched previous threads and could not find anyone as crazy as me. I want to "downgrade" those ultra plasti-chrome 18" rims and use the 16" alloy rims off of my 2001 explorer sport 4X4.

The 2001 rims are in better shape and look more tasteful IMHO. Also the tires mounted on the 2001 have much more life left.

The lug pattern seems to match. I am worried about vehicle stability and if the TPMS system will transfer. Any suggestions or pics? Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 16" 2001 Sport rims for my winter tires on my 2005 Eddie Bauer. Your 16's should fit no problem.

What do you plan on doing with your 18's?

Nice to know I am not the only one. Do you have the Tire Pressure monitor on the 05? If so, were you able to move the sensors to the 16" rims without too much hassle?

I just bought the 2007 and actually worked it into the deal that the dealership would swap them for me. Two of the 18" rims have damage where the previous owner rubbed a curb and the outer edge of the rim peeled back.

So, I will just swap them with the dealer. He can put some shine on the sport and maybe make some more coin.

**Winter tires** makes me cold just thinking about it. Glad I don't need to worry about that too much here.

I was told when I made the switch that the TPMS would not fit the 16's I have (valve style sensors). I don't know if they'll fit your 16's but the dealer should. Good luck with it.

I went back in this morning to wrap up the deal and have the rims swapped, get the extra keys, pass inspection, get the CD's I mistakenly left in the CD player, etc.

As it turns out the 2007 TPMS bands cannot be removed from the rims, so new bands would have to be ordered at $150 each. The main reason I wanted to swap the rims was to keep the $500 worth of good Yokahama rubber on them. Instead I negotiated with the dealer for a $300 add'l credit on the new Explorer. Fair compromise, I hope.

I suppose I'll use the 300 toward some new rubber and live with the damage on the rims for now. Bummer.

$150 each from Ford, or $4 at Costco. I think they were feeding you a line. The bands themselves shouldn't cost $150 each -- even from Ford. They are very cheap if you go aftermarket. I've priced them at Costco, NTB, and DTD. Good luck on your new ride!

You are right. It seemed reasonible from what I had read on this site, but i suppose that info was a bit dated (2007 and earlier). I did not price it myself. After market bands are cheap. Really they are just big hose clamps. Look like

Well, too late now. Maybe those big shiney wheels will grow on me. I still can't help but thinking that they look like they are made out of plastic.

I went back in this morning to wrap up the deal and have the rims swapped, get the extra keys, pass inspection, get the CD's I mistakenly left in the CD player, etc.

As it turns out the 2007 TPMS bands cannot be removed from the rims, so new bands would have to be ordered at $150 each. The main reason I wanted to swap the rims was to keep the $500 worth of good Yokahama rubber on them. Instead I negotiated with the dealer for a $300 add'l credit on the new Explorer. Fair compromise, I hope.

I suppose I'll use the 300 toward some new rubber and live with the damage on the rims for now. Bummer.

dont trust that shop again.

i worked at discount tire and a swap like this is easy, but a lot of work. it involves dismounting all the 05 tires to get the sensors out. then mounting them back up without the sensors in them. then you have to brake down the other set and install the sensors before mounting them back up and balancing. bands are cheap though. like a few bucks each.

Back